Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any good UV covers for Cat Trax wheels  Bottom

• The Trax are stored on the bows of the Nacra. I use a tarp to keep the sun off the tires. Is there a better solutiin? The tarp sort of hangs on the axle and needs lots of ties to keep it from flapping or catching water.

Something like a gas grill cover that fits would be ideal. I won't tow with them on. Something of fabric would be easy to store, vs rigid. Do any trailer tire covers fit the fat tires of a Cat Trax?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • RV store

--
    1978 H18
    1983 H18 (some of it)
    --
  • i don;'t know of any good covers (mine sit on the trailer which is covered by tarp)

but i did want to point out that storing and exp traveling with your wheels on your cat will cause wear on your hulls
    not a ton but depending on your travels- the damage is cumulative

i realized this because after only a few 5 mile trips to my beach- the cradles had worn off my grey imron paint and left white gel-coat visible in 4 spots that rubbed
  • Have you tried under the sterns? I did that a lot for short term storage (boat on the trailer). It will most likely cover the lights, so not good for towing.
    Today I prefer to store the wheels on the trailer, under the tramp. What changed is that today I have small wheels on the sterns to slide the boat in and out of the trailer, so I don't need the beachwheels for that and I can put them in the trailer before the cat, with plenty of space.

Also I added inner tubes to the tires long ago, as they were already burnt out. It doesn't seem that they will tear apart apart, so I don't care to much . Still like to cover them for more than a couple days though.
  • I think I'd try custom making some out of some sort of duck fabric or something.
    Cut width to fit the tire plus an inch or two either side, sew a pocket lengthwise both sides and run a bit of small diameter line through each pocket. Fasten with reef knot or stop toggle.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Never considered the gel coat/ paint damage. I guess they will go underneath.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Is storing inside a shed/garage an option? They don’t take up much room if you stand them on end. I guess I am fortunate that I’ve always been able to store mine inside, out of the sun and weather. When trailering, mine ride under the boat on the trailer between a hull and storage tube, gets them down low, and protected. Maybe you could store them under your boat, the trampoline would keep them sheltered a little.

Edited by martyr on Jul 10, 2019 - 02:38 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I apply a coat of 303 Aerospace Protectant to my Cat Trax tires once a year. It's expensive but seems to work well. I also use it on yard cover zippers, H14T snorkel/zippers, etc.....sparingly, so a pint has lasted several years. In my normal storage routine the trax don't get a lot of full sun....they're on the ground sort of under the boat so it's mostly shaded. In full sun, they'd probably need to be coated more often

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteI apply a coat of 303

+1

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.