Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

EZ Step for mast with diamonds  Bottom

• I noticed a EZ Stepper 3 with stuff sitting around. From what I read, you either pull on a trap wire, which pulls the front of the mast, sort of upsetting the side stabilizing wires, or pull on a slug in the mast sail track, which twists the mast the other way when winching begins.

I only lifted 5 feet, as I set up under a tree, but the change inside tension makes me worry.

The gin pole and side anchors are done via a strap, but that moves a bit too. That may be a cause too.

I would welcome any hints on raising masts sideways solo.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • The EZ stepper is problematic with Nacra. I had a 500 for 10 years and could not come to a solution that satisfied me. I trailered the boat backwards, so when the mast was in position to be raised it was already elevated by the trailer yoke. I kicked around the idea of an extension for the trailer yoke which would allow me to get under the mast before walking it up. The only thing you really need to do is fashion something on the end of the yoke so the mast can sit on there sideways.

--
    Bill Townsend
    G-Cat 5.0
    Sarasota
    --
  • I’ve had one for years and have never had an issue. I did install pad eyes near the ends of the front beam and run the stabilizing line up the mast only to the spreader and through the diamonds on 1 side. Really you only need the gin pole to get the mast to vertical then it should hold itself without much tension while you connect the Forestay the biggest ‘trick’ is to make sure the stabilizing lines are all tight before you start raising. Takes a bit of practise.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I’ve had one for years and have never had an issue. I did install pad eyes near the ends of the front beam and run the stabilizing line up the mast only to the spreader and through the diamonds on 1 side. Really you only need the gin pole to get the mast to vertical then it should hold itself without much tension while you connect the Forestay the biggest ‘trick’ is to make sure the stabilizing lines are all tight before you start raising. Takes a bit of practise.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Also here is the manual. https://static.hobiecat.com/linked_images/3156.pdf

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks for link

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.