Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New jib sails have hard creases - how do I get them out?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Was surprised my New sails were sent flaked
    Expected in a tube
    Any insight how to get the creases out without hurting the sail

Ps - Challenge 5.7oz Matrix Squareweave Dacron.
  • Just go sailing. With dacron they should come out after a few days of sailing. With laminate its much harder but there is no real alternative that won't wear the sail in a similar fashion to loading it up under sail.
  • Sam is right. Just go sail them, it'll fall out in time. Any attempt to undo the crease will inevitably involve creating more wear and tear.
    I do find it odd that its shipped flaked like that, but have seen it a lot. Roll it up and ship it in a tube, not that hard.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • QuoteI do find it odd that its shipped flaked like that, but have seen it a lot. Roll it up and ship it in a tube, not that hard

agreed! i am certain it was to save money (as shipping was part of the quote). I would have gladly paid more for them to be shipped sans creases - i will never again order sails without verifying how they will be shipped

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131708&g2_serialNumber=3
  • Quotegladly paid more for them to be shipped sans creases - i will never again order sails without verifying how they will be shipped

I just find it crazy that the one thing we shouldn't do with our sails is the first thing that gets done with the sails.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • From where?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuFrom where?

for some reason (not sure why) i really don't want to publicly state who made them - i guess i like the guy and don't want to cause him grief or loss of business
    and partly because i accept some blame in this (didn't specify i required them sent via tube)

that being said: i sent you a PM
  • As Sam said, with Dacron, so long as it is cleanly folded... I wouldn't worry (but don't leave it that way). Sail it, roll it up for storage and they'll go away. Laminates aren't as forgiving, but it's normal to ship large sails that way.

Most sails I've bought come from overseas, so shipping a 6'-10' foot long tube for a sail gets really expensive.
  • Thanks. They are beautiful sails. I hope you’re otherwise happy with the purchase.

Our older P18-2 dacron main is made with a similar square weave reinforced thread. I always wondered what it was. It’s stiffer, like a laminate, but I can fall on it and not leave a 3 ft hole. icon_lol

Meant to ask, why are there twin telltales mid-sail?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuMeant to ask, why are there twin telltales mid-sail?

Lets you see under/over trim and which direction you are heading in that regard.
  • QuoteMost sails I've bought come from overseas, so shipping a 6'-10' foot long tube for a sail gets really expensive.

My buddy ordered from Landenberger One Design Sails in Germany
    he received his main and jib within 10 days - rolled up - this was for a g-cat 5.0 turbo (f16 version)

he did pay a premium for his sails
  • QuoteThanks. They are beautiful sails. I hope you’re otherwise happy with the purchase.

sailed sat - very light
    only other boat was a brand new nacra500 - which was out pointing me - but he couldn't touch me on a reach

it will take a little fleet sailing to see if these new jibs make me faster - but they certainly zip easier and flog less (and sound like a snare drum in a gybe)

QuoteOur older P18-2 dacron main is made with a similar square weave reinforced thread.

this is a "new" product - http://www.challengesailcloth.com/matrix
    utilizes substrate Fiber104 - "one of the best sail cloths ever discovered" - was used for the Maltese Falcon (so i guess it's good enough for me)
    https://static1.squarespace.com/static/54b5ebc4e4b0a14bf3e960dd/560d44f1e4b0cc59c7b5d223/560d4516e4b0cc59c7b5d3a0/1443710492443/Image177.jpg?format=750w

QuoteI always wondered what it was. It’s stiffer, like a laminate, but I can fall on it and not leave a 3 ft hole.

The last time i had a window put into a main i suggested they make it this shape -
    https://previews.123rf.com/images/phawat/phawat1710/phawat171000049/88104013-white-outline-of-human-body-at-the-accident-on-the-road.jpg
  • MN3My buddy ordered from Landenberger One Design Sails in Germany
    he received his main and jib within 10 days - rolled up - this was for a g-cat 5.0 turbo (f16 version)

I wasn't going to mention any names, but Felix does a REALLY nice job and has great attention to detail. I own and have owned several Landy sails and will continue to buy from him. I've been in their loft and you can tell how seriously they take quality. In the end, I think the minor increase in price is worth it when you see the workmanship and customer service!

Edited by wlrottge on Jun 27, 2019 - 04:16 PM.
  • QuoteThe last time i had a window put into a main i suggested they make it this shape -

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • wlrottge
    MN3My buddy ordered from Landenberger One Design Sails in Germany

I wasn't going to mention any names, but Felix does a REALLY nice job and has great attention to detail. I own and have owned several Landy sails and will continue to buy from him. I've been in their loft and you can tell how seriously they take quality. In the end, I think the minor increase in price is worth it when you see the workmanship and customer service!Edited by wlrottge on Jun 27, 2019 - 04:16 PM.

I owned an (used) olympic tornado sail that was made by Landenberger . (was used in the 2004 Summer Olympic Games)
    it was a great sail - very well built - long lasting - and FAST

I would have NO hesitation recommending or using them in the future
    they have built a lot of sails for the g-cats around here including for Hans (mr gcat himself) - everyone is real happy with them

Edited by MN3 on Jun 27, 2019 - 04:49 PM.
  • I like the furling battens. verliebt

Do you have any reservations about putting windows in the jibs?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuI like the furling battens. verliebt

Do you have any reservations about putting windows in the jibs?

they are nice but i think they are mostly not needed. if u have decent tales (bright dark, and not shredded) you can (usually) see through the sail and see the outer tale (esp with white dacron) unless it's really overcast.

i purchased another one for a sailing buddy. His has a window.

so jib windows are fine, but just added perforations and laminar flow disrupters

Edited by MN3 on Jun 27, 2019 - 07:58 PM.
  • I was thinking a larger "view window" at the bottom, but your advice still applies. Thanks MN3.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Ohhhh
    Naaa I sail by feel. Not sight
  • Jib windows are a required safety item in most classes; if you are course racing and its close they are absolutely necessary to see boats below you. I wouldn't sail without one on most boats, but older boats have higher cut clews that may make it okay...

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.