Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mast float  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• My h18 likes to turn turtle. I sail mostly alone. Bigger winds overpower me and at times, not always, I capsize. Noticed the rig in 2 to 3 ft waves always tried to turtle, couple times doing so in 18 to 20 water. Bought a big mama mast float. Have a comp mast and strap eyes supplied by hobie required some bench work to even come close to fitting. I persisted in attaching as directed. Float came off in 18 to 20 knot stuff without capsizing, just broke loose. Called hobie, then I thru bolted it. 1st capsize it came off again. shered 3 3/16 bolts right off. No I am not stupid, just seems like there must be better way. I hate the thing but need something. Anyone ever fill hollow tip with float foam??
  • Apologies in advance, but is your mast perfectly sealed? My H18 will sit on its side in two-foot waves seemingly forever with the comptip and mama bob. I have a mesh tramp so at least some of the wind blows through it, which probably helps with not going turtle. My all-aluminum mast (no comp-tip) has no float, but it still floats well (when the boat is on its side, the tip is immersed to about the hounds) and I can force it into turtle, but it doesn't volunteer.

Sealing is critical - a little water at the end of th at ~30' lever arm and you'll turtle easier and recover ever-so-much harder. I'm wondering if through-bolting your Bob pivot post compromised the water-tightness of the comp-tip?

Kudos that you are out there pushing it, nevertheless!

Randii
  • Randii, Yeah it is sealed. It was going down regardless before I put the float up there. I do not like way the float looks up there but alone and turning turtle is not any way to have fun. Last year the mast stuck in the bottom mud in 18 ft water. I tried sinking the bow, the stern. Etc. The wind was 25 ( I should know better at 62)and the waves just impaled me further. 4 hours and worn out when the U. S. Navy comes by doing manuvers in their blacked out 40 footers and pulls me up. So up with the float. My concern is how to keep the float attached. I may just fill it full of 2 part foam and sell the float.

I had an older 18 back in the 80s and it never hinted at turning turtle.
  • Keep an eye out for an all-aluminum mast. There's more buoyancy in the non-tapered full extrusion.

Where do you sail? My inland lakes only have the sheriff's boat!

Randii
  • In the Neuse river down from New Bern NC. I grew up on Hatteras Island where we surfed, sailed, scuba dive. I have been on the water my entire life.
  • Quote hours and worn out when the U. S. Navy comes by doing manuvers in their blacked out 40 footers and pulls me up. So up with the float. My concern is how to keep the float attached. I may just fill it full of 2 part foam and sell the float.

GO NAVY!

foam in a mast is not a good idea (IMHO)
    it WILL get heavy with age (moisture) and add weight aloft / making it harder to right
    if there are any leaks up there too - and it gets in there - you will trap water and weight up there from that too
    especially if it ever turtles again - a small leak will let a lot in 20+ feet underwater

when my 6.0 mast was opened up - it was full of waterlogged, heavy foam the pervious owner had filled
    pounds of weight were trimmed off the mast when it was cleaned up from foam

fabricator had to heat up a rod with a torch and melt out the foam

Edited by MN3 on Jun 19, 2018 - 05:30 PM.
  • Roger that! My youngest at 19 has 6 more months training for U.S.N. rescue jumper east coast. Very proud of him.
    I hear you on the foam. I will just have to find a mate for ballast etc. I can't see how that mast float can attach securely to a fiberglass mast and with stand the torture I will put it thru. Maybe I will make my own. I am pulling rig off my dock float, lower mast and do another inspection. Maybe its time for a mono hull like a moore 24 or express 27?
  • Where do you launch in New Bern ? I grew up in Oriental, in Raleigh for years but have the old homestead in Oriental. Just not a good option to launch in Oriental, the city told me I can launch on the small beach but cannot move 4x4 to roll / cat trax from the street on the beach ???

I went on Google Maps but did not see a beach / sandy shore to launch from in New Bern. Looking for Eastern NC weekend beachcat sailing areas. Found 11th street dinghy launch in Morehead City on line and considering giving it a try, current can get strong there on tides.

25 knots is a lot of wind !!! I can just hold my Prindle 19 MX in 12 knots and that's with a lot of adjustments ..
  • 20 years ago you could sail the boat down the street in oriental, those days are over. Need a permit to fart. I live on Beards Creek just west of Camp Seafarer. Right across river from Marine corp air station. I built a dock/float as I have no beach either and launch from there then sail right back up on dock, depending on wind.
    We have a ramp and dock for the home owners here but got tired of trailer.
    Yes 25 is to much. Silly/dangerous on my part. I just need a sailing buddy, both sons are gone now, wife is a no go. I still have no info on anyone successfully attaching one of these floats. Others have told me just don't fly a hull. Wheres the fun in that. Or don't capsize. If you ride a dirtbike and you don't crash on occasion you aren't riding hard enough!!
    If ever in area and want to sail text or call 252 670 2960.
  • one option would be to add a flexible foam panel to the top of the sail. It's pretty common on 420's, and we scaled it up and did it on a Reynolds 33.
  • Mike, thought about that or attach to mast but don't want to upset airflow. Guess if its small way up top wont matter much. Thanks!
  • gulfstream40Where do you launch in New Bern ? I grew up in Oriental, in Raleigh for years but have the old homestead in Oriental. Just not a good option to launch in Oriental, the city told me I can launch on the small beach but cannot move 4x4 to roll / cat trax from the street on the beach ???

I went on Google Maps but did not see a beach / sandy shore to launch from in New Bern. Looking for Eastern NC weekend beachcat sailing areas. Found 11th street dinghy launch in Morehead City on line and considering giving it a try, current can get strong there on tides.

25 knots is a lot of wind !!! I can just hold my Prindle 19 MX in 12 knots and that's with a lot of adjustments ..

I just came back from Emerald Isle and sailed off the beach there are gates at the 3 vehicle beach access points there but I know for sure you can slide a hobie 16 under the one at the end of Black Skimmer Dr.
    also if you catch the cops in a good mood they'll open the gate for you to roll it in/out on cat trax
    also in Morehead city you used to be able to launch from the end of Marine Dr on radio island. not sure if you still can.

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • crazyoldfart20 years ago you could sail the boat down the street in oriental, those days are over. Need a permit to fart. I live on Beards Creek just west of Camp Seafarer. Right across river from Marine corp air station. I built a dock/float as I have no beach either and launch from there then sail right back up on dock, depending on wind.
    Yes 25 is to much. Silly/dangerous on my part. I just need a sailing buddy, both sons are gone now, wife is a no go. I still have no info on anyone successfully attaching one of these floats. Others have told me just don't fly a hull. Wheres the fun in that. Or don't capsize. If you ride a dirtbike and you don't crash on occasion you aren't riding hard enough!!

Hey CrazyOldFart, I'm just down the road from you in Swansboro. Looking to buy my first multihull (although I've been sailing monohulls for 50 plus years). Guess that makes me CrazyOldFartToo. ;)
  • lol kahuna I was in Swansboro at least every other day over the fist 2 weeks of this month. I always go to Clyde Philips for seafood!
    next time in down that way we'll have to get a few of us together.
    good luck on your upcoming boat purchase I just bought a parts boat while I was there. there are several hobies I saw for sale in the Morehead city/Boufort/Harkers island area but several in rough shape

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • Crazyoldfart, you might consider converting/switching to a small trimaran if you have the means. I'm converting my Prindle 16 to something like a Farrier Tramp. (homebuilding/designing it) Strike 18 uses existing beach cat floats and rig and is built out of lightweight ply. Worth looking at the videos if you haven't already: http://www.sailingcatamar…s-under-25/168-strike-18
    Danny in Baltimore

--
    Prindle 16
    --
  • Thanks for all the response. Still have found no one who has advice on attaching mast float. I fabricated s stainless steel sleeve/bracket that I will post once secured to mast.

We have a family reunion very year on Harkers Island. The h18 is put thru its paces for sure. Last year sailed from Harkers out inlet, around Shackleford then back in Beaufort inlet to base. Ate my sandwich 3 miles off beach with dolphin swimming by. Shark and schools of Spanish mack sighted. Real sunburned.

Regarding trimaran. Looking at the f31 right now! I would sell the h18, get larger rig and still go 20 knots:)
    Kahuna call if you want see boat/ go sailing. I am 1 hr from you.
  • I use a fender as mast float, here is a picture (find Wally, then up and left)
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=112852
    On top I used a small shackle, drilled a hole on the plates of the halyard pulley. At the bottom just an eye strap with lots of silicone, not to make the cure worse than the disease (re applied every year).
  • kahuna

I was trying to find the water depth of the White Oak River, not on any charts, and found several fishing forums that indicated it was very shallow and in several places in the channel only 3' deep.

I have been on my jet ski on the White Oak following someone but not aware of the depth. It is very open and looked to be a good beach cat sailing area. Being from Swansboro, what do you think ?

You, fart, and myself should get together one weekend for a cat sail. Also .. I might be selling my Prindle 19 for an A-Class or smaller cat, I have to rig and knock down the Prindle every time I take it out and @ 64 is getting to be quite a chore.

gobigkahuna
    crazyoldfart20 years ago you could sail the boat down the street in oriental, those days are over. Need a permit to fart. I live on Beards Creek just west of Camp Seafarer. Right across river from Marine corp air station. I built a dock/float as I have no beach either and launch from there then sail right back up on dock, depending on wind.

Hey CrazyOldFart, I'm just down the road from you in Swansboro. Looking to buy my first multihull (although I've been sailing monohulls for 50 plus years). Guess that makes me CrazyOldFartToo. ;)
  • crazyoldfartIn the Neuse river down from New Bern NC. I grew up on Hatteras Island where we surfed, sailed, scuba dive. I have been on the water my entire life.

Heh Daniel,

I'm thinking to sail my H17 S in a few places this summer in NC. Can you recommend a few cat friendly places to launch and get a room for a few days in reply? Thanks.

Michael
  • QuoteRegarding trimaran. Looking at the f31 right now! I would sell the h18, get larger rig and still go 20 knots:)

I sail on a f31R - wow, wow wow is that a killer boat
    and it can handle 20 knots without any worry

that being said this is a 2 person boat at the least (for rigging and safe in and out of any marina/ramp)

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.