Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to keep jib from flogging at anchor or on beach during setup when very windy  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• MN3on several occasions I have shown up at the beach for sailing and seen more than 1 jib flappin in the wind - no one around - the little cleat on the beam isn't always up to the job of securing the jib in storms, etc

This is certainly true. I have a good furler cleat on my boat (clamcleat) and I still would not trust it 100% for overnight or long term storage. I always tie the free end of the furler line off to a nearby hiking strap with a few half hitches when the boat’s on the beach. For long term storage (i.e. away from the boat for days) I would tie a secondary line through the clew and around the furled sail. But at some point the minor inconvenience of just lowering and storing the sail begins to be outweighed by the potential risk of damage and wear from furler mishaps.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Jun 20, 2019 - 05:24 PM.
  • For years I also tied a line through the clew. Actually, I left the line there all the time, it just trails while sailing.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…a48bebc3348c1b821f59eb22
    I keep my cats on modified Seadoo lifts, & no one is tall enough to reach the clew while standing in the water. I tried a 3’ stepladder that I left on the dock, but that got old real quick.
    Fast forward I now have a 4” bit of spyder line tied to a snap on one end, the other attached to a4” pin, the same one I use to secure the mast to the ball when stepping mast. Insert the pin into a hole in the tang of the drum, then snap the clip onto a bridal wire. Takes 3 seconds, & the drum is locked.
    I’ll get a photo tomorrow.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 20, 2019 - 10:38 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177For years I also tied a line through the clew. Actually, I left the line there all the time, it just trails while sailing.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…a48bebc3348c1b821f59eb22
    I keep my cats on modified Seadoo lifts, & no one is tall enough to reach the clew while standing in the water. I tried a 3’ stepladder that I left on the dock, but that got old real quick.
    Fast forward I now have a 4” bit of spyder line tied to a snap on one end, the other attached to a4” pin, the same one I use to secure the mast to the ball when stepping mast. Insert the pin into a hole in the tang of the drum, then snap the clip onto a bridal wire. Takes 3 seconds, & the drum is locked.
    I’ll get a photo tomorrow.Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 20, 2019 - 10:38 PM.

no chance of a wind storm vibrating it out?
  • Quoteno chance of a wind storm vibrating it out?

If it comes out, my Cat, & probably the house are also gone!
    The pin goes into the hole just above where the bridals attach to the drum. The clip goes on to one of the bridals. The line is shorter than the pin, therefore prevents the pin from coming all the way out. I invented this because with the Cat sitting on a lift, I cannot reach up to the clew to tie a safety line. I could stand on one hull. lean out & just reach it, but that was a precarious operation, & when i had the 10' wide Mystere, impossible. I also use it on the N5.7
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120205&g2_serialNumber=4
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131683&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 22, 2019 - 12:26 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Put a "snorkel" over it. The snorkle flogs pretty good in a strong wind but if it's made of sunbrella it's strong enough and, most importantly, protects it from the sun. The UV will kill the sail. icon_confused

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.