Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Frenchy's Rum Run, June 22, 2019  Bottom

• This is the launch of the Multihull Ocean Series.
    Here is the calendar event:
    https://www.thebeachcats.…viewtype/details/eid/984
    and some photos:
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131477&g2_serialNumber=4
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131480&g2_serialNumber=4
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131473&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Nice!
    is that a dart20 in the top pic?

Is that you on the prindle?
  • Rules question... do you know if the entrants have to sail the same boat in all three races with the same configuration, that is skipper and crew, sail plan.., etc.... to be eligible for the series trophy? Or does that only apply to the last two races?

Asking for a friend!

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3Nice!
    is that a dart20 in the top pic?
    That is Bob Martinez (Dartman) single-handing his Dart 18.

Is that you on the prindle?

Not sure who is sailing the P19 in the bottom one...

Photos are from the last two years on the VSC web site.
    You can see how rough the sea can get on a good day.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • JohnESRules question... do you know if the entrants have to sail the same boat in all three races with the same configuration, that is skipper and crew, sail plan.., etc.... to be eligible for the series trophy? Or does that only apply to the last two races?

Asking for a friend!

Good question.
    Answers here:
    Contact information:
    Robert Martinez, VSC Multihull Captain
    amx70401@yahoo.com

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Don't quote me on this but I believe the rules for the Frenchies run are a lot looser than the later two races
    Are you sailing John?

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • onekiwiDon't quote me on this but I believe the rules for the Frenchies run are a lot looser than the later two races
    Are you sailing John?

Yeah... but that does not make it a series... when we were allowed in all three of the Island Series (Milt and Tri-Point being the later two)) we made it an understanding that you sailed the same boat, same configuration for all three races... as for crew you just needed two... only makes it fair to the other that don't have a stable of boats parked in their front yards...

As for racing I don't know yet... I have not been recruiting a crew, or sailing much lately, been busy working on my flight instructor ratings.. If you know someone that wants to crew let me know.

Edited by JohnES on May 30, 2019 - 01:44 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Ventura Sailing Club sponsors the VSC Ocean Race Series trophy to encourage the participation of more beachcats. This was done in conjunction with PBYC to offer 3 long distance offshore races. To win the trophy you need to sail all 3 races. The thinking behind the series was to reward sailsmanship, the ability of a sailor to successfully manage a race course. If one reads the race rules for each of the 3 required races, there is no mention of the use of the same boat in the series. It would seem that sailing different boats as opposed to one might be more difficult due to the different nuances of each boat, as opposed to the "expertise" and familiarity gained from sailing only one boat.
    Since VSC sponsors the series trophy, membership feedback on this subject is welcomed.
  • Ventura Sailing Club sponsors the VSC Ocean Race Series trophy to encourage the participation of more beachcats. This was done in conjunction with PBYC to offer 3 long distance offshore races. To win the trophy you need to sail all 3 races. The thinking behind the series was to reward sailsmanship, the ability of a sailor to successfully manage a race course. If one reads the race rules for each of the 3 required races, there is no mention of the use of the same boat in the series. It would seem that sailing different boats as opposed to one might be more difficult due to the different nuances of each boat, as opposed to the "expertise" and familiarity gained from sailing only one boat.
    Since VSC sponsors the series trophy, membership feedback on this subject is welcomed.
  • seananship
  • seamanship
  • The Prindle 19 above is helped by Bill Mattson and crewed by his son Tom.
  • DartmanVentura Sailing Club sponsors the VSC Ocean Race Series trophy to encourage the participation of more beachcats. This was done in conjunction with PBYC to offer 3 long distance offshore races. To win the trophy you need to sail all 3 races. The thinking behind the series was to reward sailsmanship, the ability of a sailor to successfully manage a race course. If one reads the race rules for each of the 3 required races, there is no mention of the use of the same boat in the series. It would seem that sailing different boats as opposed to one might be more difficult due to the different nuances of each boat, as opposed to the "expertise" and familiarity gained from sailing only one boat.

When Mike Dobbs and I were able to get beachcats in the the PBYC island series there was an understanding that like the other entrants to the series (ORCA - PHRF) you raced the same boat, same configuration, and adhered to the agreement.. For instance I sailed the Tri-Point with my 5.8 without the spinnaker... I sailed the Hard-way and the Milt with the spinnaker... But, I used the same rating for all three races.. And, help me out here, when did the rules for Frency's change? When this was originally set up we had adopted the same requirement that PBYC had no less than an 18' boat, & two crew.

Do think it is fair if every day of the Worrell, Great Texas, Florida 300, or another SCHRS/Porstmouth sieres event that some competitors are able to show up with a different boat that is going to give them and advantage for that day....

If you want to make this a true series race and championship I believe you should adopt a same boat/configuration set of rules for all three races and make it fair for all the other competitors. Otherwise you're just going kill it...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.