Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Vibrio and other Flesh Eating Bacteria  Bottom

• Summer season starts up this weekend and I hope everyone kicks into high gear with some cat sailing. It is a good time to be aware of the dangers of Vibrio infections. At our club meeting last night a doctor and Finn racer gave a speech on infections. He has personally conducted 5 leg amputations in Mobile for Vibrio infections. The gist of the speech is:Water temps above 78F and mild to moderate salinity (*cough Mobile Bay) allow Vibrio to explode in population. If you get a cut wash it immediately. That can just be soap and water or keep a bottle of peroxide with you. If it begins to redden and bubble within 2 hours get your ass to a hospital. A healthy person can be killed within 24 hours. It was a sobering speech and I wish I had recorded it to share. Sail safe this summer.

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Good post Robert!
    Good to remind people of the danger

we have had 2 cases of flesh eating bacteria in my county the past few months and the water is 85* already

one was a local who fishes a lot - got a hook in his finger and within a few days almost had to have his arm amputated

the other was a tourist in st pete who had a blister on his foot and rented kayaks ... same deal - almost lost the leg

I am usually very careful but last weekend had a moment of stupidity ... very end of day - getting my beach wheels from land and i stepped on an oyster. 5 or 6 cuts on my foot (beach shoes were right on deck of my boat ... )

I have been cleaning and changing gauze all week - praying i don't end up infected or worse
    i think i am over the risk of infection ... but won't be sailing this weekend due to my foot
  • This comes up every year and every year there are two groups of people.
    1-The "Chicken Little" folks
    2-The "Rub some dirt on it" folks
    While I personally fall a little more in the "rub some dirt on it" crowd, don't be ignorant. Clean any cuts and watch for signs of infection. It's really that simple folks.
    Remember though, millions upon millions of people visit the coast each year, approx. 100 people die annually and 60+% of infections are foodborne. Have fun and sail hard.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Quotedon't be ignorant. Clean any cuts and watch for signs of infection. It's really that simple folks.

around here the water temps get into the 90's - it's a bacteria farm. every year someone in this area has some health crisis due to water born pathogens.

so it may be rare but it is a regular occurrence

I have had 2 foot infections in the past. both from new beach shoes that gave me a blister and walking in the gulf/bay.

they are VERY hard and slow to heal (they are the furthest from your heart so they get the least blood flow). i was on the verge of getting a blood infection from my foot 1 time. i have never felt sicker and had a extremely high body temp from the infection.

Here in tampa - we have beach closings all the time in the summer - due to bacteria levels (usually fecal)
    so if you live anywhere in the south (warm waters) it is best to be cautious about going into waters with any cuts, open sores, blisters - even athletes foot can let pathogens in

so a word of caution is fair
    a reminder of what can happen is more than fair
  • For sure. My own father fought off an infection that nearly took his life. (He was stubborn and refused to walk into a doctors office. Tried self treatment with veterinary medication from Tractor Supply...) It’s funny that you mention athletes foot, he swore saltwater was the best cure for it! icon_lol
    Just don’t want people to blow it out of proportion and miss out. Every year there’s a small group of locals that will try to discourage people from sailing because the respective “beach watch” site says “elevated”.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • I know many of us are on the water multiple times a week, for multiple hours at a time so probably more exposed than most, but not all. Summer is actually not the best sailing around here so I'm usually on the water a little less. I usually give up raw oysters May through August as well.
  • QuoteIt’s funny that you mention athletes foot, he swore saltwater was the best cure for it!

My cousin is a Dr (GP).

I told him about 1 time i almost sliced my thumb off on my razor sharp traveler track and that it was a good thing i carry rum on board. I told him i have poured it on a cut several times in the past... (and treat internally). He laughed at me and mentioned to me that salt water is good for an infection

i told him "i'm not walking around the mucky bay with open cuts - our water is a bacteria farm, not like your new England coast with 70* water in summer)
  • Ha! I like the contents of your onboard medical kit. I’ll have to add that.
    I can’t blame him too much. I grew up on the coast and we spent almost every weekend barefoot wade fishing. Cuts, scrapes and punctures were just a part of the deal. The only concern we had back then was making sure you didn’t get finned by a Hardhead. If you did, tobacco and spit was the go-to.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    --
  • haha - i do actually carry a first aid (bag) too
    bandaids, neosporin, blood clot powder, and a few extras
    used more often than i desire - seems always someone in the fleet gets cut

Edited by MN3 on May 24, 2019 - 04:52 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.