Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

spinnaker retrieval line rigging tips  Bottom

• Hi All,
    Just trying to figure out a better method for my Tornado spinnaker to be retrieved and end up in the snuffer in a more smooth and uniform manner that currently occurs. What I am currently experiencing is a bunching of material that clogs the snuffer chute and then is like pulling a plug through a narrowing hole.
    Using an ULLMAN chute, has only 2 retrieval loops for the retrieval (take down)end of the halyard. The top loop is located about 8ft down form the head of the chute, the second and bottom loop is located about 15ft farther down from the first loop. Have tried to place a knot on the retrieval line about 18" inches below the top loop to grab on to the lower loop as the line is pulled in but get varying results and none that are easy...would love to hear any experienced advice and see images if possible to a good effective and simple solution?
    Cheers
    ET
  • Sounds like you're already doing a variation of what we do on F18.
    When tying the retrieval line to the top loop, we make sure and make it an oversized bowline (~6"-8"). It helped get rid of the bunching quite a bit. It was explained to me that having the knot so close to the loop is what is causing the bunching, not the distance between the loops.

Edited by badfish on May 08, 2019 - 10:57 AM.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • badfish
    When tying the retrieval line to the top loop, we make sure and make it an oversized bowline (~6"-8"). It helped get rid of the bunching quite a

Good call - i forgot about that
  • OK Thanks will try it out.
    Cheers

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.