Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need Advice - Nacra 6.0NA Mainsail  Bottom

• Long story short, I was sailing my ‘97 6.0na in some big breeze a couple weeks ago, and the (original) main decided it had had enough, and I’m now without a usable mainsail.

I’ve been trying to track down good used or reasonably priced new options, but haven’t been having much luck.

If anyone has advice on who makes a good new sail, or where I should be looking for used sails, please let me know!

Thanks,
    Jonathan
  • I too am considering a new main for my '99 Nacra 6.0 NA so let me know what kind of pricing you come across. My brother has emailed a few manufacturers recently so ill let you know what he comes up with.

Also not to steal your thread, but I've been contemplating a custom sail with a reefing point for when I'm cruising days in a row. I think this would be doable even with its boomless design. A Dacron sail would seem better suited over mylar for this cruising application. That wouldn't hurt performance too too much though would it? Does any one have any experience with reefs and boomless sails?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I too am considering a new main for my '99 Nacra 6.0 NA so let me know what kind of pricing you come across. My brother has emailed a few manufacturers recently so ill let you know what he comes up with.

Also not to steal your thread, but I've been contemplating a custom sail with a reefing point for when I'm cruising days in a row. I think this would be doable even with its boomless design. A Dacron sail would seem better suited over mylar for this cruising application. That wouldn't hurt performance too too much though would it? Does any one have any experience with reefs and boomless sails?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I recently had similar issue on my Nacra 5.5SL. I did some checking on-line and made some calls. I ended up going with EP sails. Skip was easy and informative and had many choices/option. And they made the original sails. As for price, it depends on what materials and cut you go with. I ended up going vertical cut mylar with a square top. Very happy with it.
  • Don't know why it posted my reply twice - removed duplicate message reply.

Edited by geepaks on May 02, 2019 - 01:48 PM.
  • QuoteI’ve been trying to track down good used or reasonably priced new options, but haven’t been having much luck.

If anyone has advice on who makes a good new sail, or where I should be looking for used sails, please let me know!

for sails check with Chip at Whirlwind sails . he has lots of experience, and good reviews (and his price is one of the best)

for used sails there is a section on this site - there is a tornado sail or 2 on there that would be a close fit to your n20

QuoteDoes any one have any experience with reefs and boomless sails?

I have exp with reef's but on boomed boats

Besides reef points ... you need to add a reef clew and tack attachment point

on my reefing main i have a track slug on the head of the sail so it can't pull out of the mast track at the top

you should consider how your sail will be attached in the lower position. -
    when you take the sail off the hook and lower it - then secure the halyard on the base of the mast - you have changed your system from a 1:1 (hook : downhauil) to a 2:1 (halyard running up the mast, around a turning block : secured at the base on some cleat) - thus doubling the compression on your mast when you downhaul it.
    best to make sure your mast can take this. my system has a 2:1 on the top of the mast that a marine engineer said would help distribute the loads above the spreaders. I am not convinced but the boat came that way and who am i to argue

I also have a oversized spinlock in my mast track to secure the halyard once it's reefed
    I also use dyneema line with a jacket as my halyard to avoid any stretch once it's off the hook and running up and back down my mast

what makes you think dacron is better for a reefable main? - i see no difference in sail matterial except dacron usually doesn't fail like a laminate sail does - dacron just stretches out of shape forever vs keeping its shape and falling apart - in both cases the sail has lost its shape. sure you can keep sailing on out of shape sails but they are not efficient and actually can cause a capsize (a blown out sail will move the draft forward and power up at the wrong time)
  • Kevin, I have a near new North 18Msq mainsail that would make nice cruising sail. Has the clew plate at bottom and twin blocks at tack for downhaul. Foot of sail is 7' 6". Your sail as I understand it is 17.46 M. Pm me if necessary. Pete
  • Used sails for this kind of boat are hard to come by. The 18SQ might be close but I wonder about the luff curve matching the 6.0NA telephone pole of a rig? It may be possible, just something I would measure.

I would NOT go boomless. We've been playing with that in both the F18 and A-Cat and moving back to a boom. You could go to a smaller, tubular boom vs. what you have now.

In terms of sailmaker, I would give Jay Glaser a call. They are going to be your best bet for a fast sail. Skip at EP does good work as well but they haven't been in the optimization game as long as Glaser and prices are about the same. Chip is also great to work with and probably the least expensive of the 3.
  • MN3:

I didn't think of the additional 2:1 on the downhaul with the reefed main. That's a good point. I'm not sure I fully understand the effects other than double the potential for mast bend for a given downhaul. As for the clew I thought the main sheet can be attached to a cringle and a extra stiff batten. Maybe converting to the use of a boom would be easier. I sure would love to have a "Self tacking" Mast rotation made possible by the boom.

I don't think Dacron would be better I was just thinking it would be cheaper.

Pete: I'll have to take some measurements of my sail and I'll get back to you!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • QuoteI'm not sure I fully understand the effects other than double the potential for mast bend for a given downhaul.

http://www.catsailor.com/bb_files/147242-Halyardcompression.GIF

Quote As for the clew I thought the main sheet can be attached to a cringle and a extra stiff batten

I have grommets (same as the actual clew / tack) added inline with my reefpoints (my reef points are just loops of webbing on each side of the sail that sit on a reenforced patch)

QuoteI don't think Dacron would be better I was just thinking it would be cheaper.

Ahhhh- agreed
  • according to the image i just posted it is the 1:1 that is doubling of the force

I have the 2:1 on my reefing system

the Hooked is typical on many stock beach cats (h16 not included - they use a fork to catch a bead in the halyard. I assume the h14 is similar but have never rigged one so not sure)
  • Right so with hooked main, apply T to main sail and T is applied to mast. With 1:1 Halyard T is applied to mainsail and 2T is applied to mast. In your case 3T is applied to mast. I get that. The real world difference becomes just increased mast bend?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • QuoteThe real world difference becomes just increased mast bend?

in the bigger picture yes, just more bend but .. your gear/mast can withstand x amount of force without problem ... you have now doubled it - so at what point are you going to sheer rivets out of your downhaul system, or burn-up or break the block/sheeve at the top of your mast, or .... something much more expensive to deal with... aka bent/snapped mast

i think this is how it plays out (but i'm no engineer)

If i have an 4:1 downhaul
    and it takes me 25lbs of pull on my downhaul sheet to get my sail to pull down to the "maxed out setting"... i have 25lbs x 4 (my downhaul multiplies force x4) being applied to my mast to get to that max setting .

now by running my halyard back down my mast i have double the compression (force) on my mast to get the same max setting on my downhaul

aka double the compression on your mast to get the same amount of downhaul
  • Is Slo Sail still not doing sailmaking? That would be a shame because one of our sailing buddies has a main from them for his 6.0na (boat for sail on this website) and it is a great sail. The performance difference was amazing.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • If you are going to reef... Make a pigtail with a ring on the top so that you don't have the 2:1 issue.

This is also a good idea because the halyard and sheve weren't intended to carry that kind of load.
  • QuoteIf you are going to reef... Make a pigtail with a ring on the top so that you don't have the 2:1 issue.

have you ever done this or seen it?

not saying it's impossible but this has been discussed and tried by many
    I have never heard of this working

unless there is a sail with a bolt rope ... the ring will not behave as usual and will not easily come off the hook with a pig tail
    it can work but you would need to flip the boat on it's side to get the sail down (and maybe up) and that would negate reefing on the fly
  • QuoteIf you are going to reef... Make a pigtail with a ring on the top so that you don't have the 2:1 issue.

have you ever done this or seen it?

not saying it's impossible but this has been discussed and tried by many
    I have never heard of this working

unless there is a sail with a bolt rope ... the ring will not behave as usual and will not easily come off the hook with a pig tail or not at all as i have heard

it can work but you would need to flip the boat on it's side to get the sail down (and maybe up) and that would negate reefing on the fly

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.