Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

PRINDLE 18 JIB OPTIONS?  Bottom

• Aloha Y'all. I'm looking to upgrade my current (vintage) Patterson jib with one that can squeeze out a few more horsepower, upwind and down. Mine is in good shape but a little blown or maybe small. It just doesn't seem to turbocharge my pinhead main, (which is still in pretty good shape and still pretty as hell). icon_cool

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129338&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=f31085ffc9ea2ddfe039d095271548c1

I need a jib that furls for storage, (so vertical battens). It will stay tucked inside a murrays snorkel.

Can you please share your advice and sources for any of these options?

1. A really fresh, dacron used sail. Aftermarket. (Offers welcomed)

2. A fresh or new headsail intended for another cat- especially the P18-2?

3. A brand new P-18 jib from a domestic or offshore loft.

Has anyone experimented with swapping out jibs on this boat? I'm very impressed with the 18-2 jib's abilities, used together with an older squaretop on that boat.

I might reluctantly replace the whole set if an amazing deal comes along. But for now, a reasonably priced jib upgrade is my focus. I like going fast, but I am not a fanatical racer.

Much Mahalo. Rich

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Have new offshore 6 0z P-18 jibs with window designed by Whirlwind coming in 3 weeks for $300. The trouble with your old jib or a "good" used jib is that they're 4 oz and blow out too soon. Pete 909-800-5237
  • Sounds like Pete has a good product for you at a good price and not to be overlooked he seems to be a real person with a phone number.

I ordered some price point sails from an overseas loft that I didn’t really look into and it caused me some grief, stress and some lost time on the water. Dealing with a real person adds a lot of value to the deal
  • And responsive. Gotta love that. Thanks John. And Pete.

Pete, will you have a furling version? The horizontal battens caused wear on my jib and cover. I had to remove them, which makes the performance even more underwhelming.

And what are your thoughts about substituting an 18-2 sized jib? (I don't have the dimensions on the P18 jib yet - or an 18.2 jib to play with).

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • It just takes a couple minutes when you land on shore to slip the short horizontal battens out, then furl the sail for night. This is the way they come & for a good price. Live with it and enjoy a very firm sail. Pete
  • pbegleIt just takes a couple minutes when you land on shore to slip the short horizontal battens out, then furl the sail for night. This is the way they come & for a good price. Live with it and enjoy a very firm sail. Pete

Pete you have been here foreever, and I have purchased from you in the past. Do you have any furlers that would work for the 84 NACRA 5.7?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • That's because it's a great game! Sailing in all it's forms. Sailed across the back Bay of La Paz 5 years ago with my 5.7 windsurf sail saying " don't fall !! "cause I knew I couldn't waterstart anymore. And I made it. But I still use all those windsurf sails on my landsailers! Rebuilding an A-2 A cat this Spring cause I can push it off & on the water. Dream to fuss around with a 165 # cat!!! Well I don't have any of those furlers, but if I come across an old H-18 parts boat, I'll let you know. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.