Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cleaning smelly sailing shoes?  Bottom

• I love my Zhik sailing shoes but despite me always rinsing them and occasional washing with wetsuit shampoo they have got a bit smelly, any suggestions on what to clean then with that won't damage them?
    https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2100/dom6h/products/384/images/2984/Boat-Crew-Gear-Zhik-boot-460-both__06422.1461132290.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Thanks

Edited by aquaaddict on Mar 12, 2019 - 09:23 PM.
  • https://www.dailydot.com/wp-content/uploads/38c/1c/93467c8cdb83c6208754b75e2147ff1d.jpg
  • 2 tablespoons bleach in a bucket of lukewarm water. Soak and agitate a few times over a period of 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with clear water twice. Put in bright sun to dry as quickly as possible.

DO NOT over do it on the bleach or time and DO NOT use hot water. Yes, I know they say not to use bleach, but................it's bleach or stink, pick one. I only recommend this a couple times a season. Ever notice that when your boots are new that for a few months if you rinse them well they don't stink. The bleach is resetting them to the almost new condition.

Anyone else ever try the diving products for neoprene? I tried "Sink The Stink" and it only worked to the get by category, but still a little stinky.

Cheers and a farewell to stink...

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • aquaaddictI love my Zhik sailing shoes but despite me always rinsing them and occasional washing with wetsuit shampoo they have got a bit smelly, any suggestions....

Yea, put them on your feet, not up to your nose....

Seriously though, I think you’re doing pretty much all you can do. Perhaps use mild washing detergent and/or woolite in a gentle wash cycle. I’ve never found anything to completely eliminate the smell. Make sure you let them fully dry after use. Leave them out of your sailing gear bag for several days after use, at least that’s what I do.

sm
  • Laundry detergent and rinse. Repeat. Dry thoroughly. I might even consider once dry, adding a light dust of GoldBond while in storage.
    Its what works for my wetsuit (minus the GoldBond obviously). My shoes haven't had any issues. If anything its my gloves that develop quite the stench??? Go figure.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • Spray some febreeze inside perhaps?

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrSpray some febreeze inside perhaps?

not safe for human consumption:
    -----------

P&G has been tagged as a bad player since it only lists 3 ingredients

but the fact that only 3 ingredients were disclosed and that so many undisclosed ingredients are dangerous, it's safe to assume that their other air freshners are just as dangerous.

Febreze Ingredients
    Green Your Clean
    Below you'll find a list of just some of the 87 chemicals found by the EWG in Febreze Air Effects, listed in order of their toxicity to humans:

BHT - Known as a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, skin eye and lung irritator
    Acetaldehyde - Known to cause cancer, toxic to reproduction and development, immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin, skin, eye and lung irritator
    "Fragrance" - One of the three ingredients actually disclosed, it's a neurotoxin, immunotoxin and allergen
    Propylene Glycol - Causes cancer, allergies, toxic to immune system, accumulates in the system, non-reproductive organ system toxin, is classified with "enhanced skin absorption" and irritates the skin, eye and lung
    1,3-Dichloro-2-propanol - Carcinogenic (causes cancer)
    Limonene - Synthetic form used is known allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Methyl pyrrolidone - Toxin to reproduction and development, allergen and immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Alcohol denatured - Also disclosed in the ingredients of Febreze, it's linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, organ system toxicity and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Butylphenyl methylpropion al - allergen, immunotoxin and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Ethyl acetate - linked to developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organic system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Geraniol - Synthetic form used linked to allergies, immunotoxicity, organi system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritation
    Linalool - Synthetic form used is known allergen, immunotoxin, and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Benzaldehyde - neurotoxin, and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether - non-reproductive organ system toxicity
    Ethylhezanol - developmental and reproductive toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Hexyl cinnamal - allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    And way too many more....

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html
  • turn them inside out, put them in the washing machine with laundry soap and some OXY-Clean.... use warm water... take the our and rinse over night...

Or you can get some of this..http://www.sinkthestink.com/

Either way it should take care of it, or just deal with the bromodosis icon_lol

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I soak my gear in a mix of warm water and vinegar when ever I sail in salt water. That works well on odors.

Then a soak and agitate in warm soapy water and rinse. Followed a few days drying on my front front swing.

Sometimes a quick dip in a pool for the bootie with a good rinse works in a pinch. icon_smile

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • JohnESturn them inside out, put them in the washing machine with laundry soap and some OXY-Clean.... use warm water... take the our and rinse over night...

Or you can get some of this..http://www.sinkthestink.com/

Either way it should take care of it, or just deal with the bromodosis icon_lol

Plus 1 on this, but the trick I have found is to get them dry and keep them dry while not using.
    I hang them in the garage after cleaning and that usually keeps them “mostly” odor free.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • MN3
    martyrSpray some febreeze inside perhaps?

not safe for human consumption:
    -----------

P&G has been tagged as a bad player since it only lists 3 ingredients

but the fact that only 3 ingredients were disclosed and that so many undisclosed ingredients are dangerous, it's safe to assume that their other air freshners are just as dangerous.

Febreze Ingredients
    Green Your Clean
    Below you'll find a list of just some of the 87 chemicals found by the EWG in Febreze Air Effects, listed in order of their toxicity to humans:

BHT - Known as a neurotoxin, endocrine disruptor, immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, skin eye and lung irritator
    Acetaldehyde - Known to cause cancer, toxic to reproduction and development, immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin, skin, eye and lung irritator
    "Fragrance" - One of the three ingredients actually disclosed, it's a neurotoxin, immunotoxin and allergen
    Propylene Glycol - Causes cancer, allergies, toxic to immune system, accumulates in the system, non-reproductive organ system toxin, is classified with "enhanced skin absorption" and irritates the skin, eye and lung
    1,3-Dichloro-2-propanol - Carcinogenic (causes cancer)
    Limonene - Synthetic form used is known allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Methyl pyrrolidone - Toxin to reproduction and development, allergen and immunotoxin, non-reproductive organ system toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Alcohol denatured - Also disclosed in the ingredients of Febreze, it's linked to cancer, developmental/reproductive toxicity, organ system toxicity and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Butylphenyl methylpropion al - allergen, immunotoxin and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Ethyl acetate - linked to developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, organic system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Geraniol - Synthetic form used linked to allergies, immunotoxicity, organi system toxicity and and skin, eyes and lung irritation
    Linalool - Synthetic form used is known allergen, immunotoxin, and and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Benzaldehyde - neurotoxin, and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Diethylene glycol monoethyl ether - non-reproductive organ system toxicity
    Ethylhezanol - developmental and reproductive toxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    Hexyl cinnamal - allergen, immunotoxin and skin, eyes and lung irritator
    And way too many more....

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html

Wow, that a lot of stuff. Okay scratch that, don't use febreeze!!! Seems that stuff only masks odors and doesn't do anything at all to eliminate them.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • This has worked for me
    Sink the Stink
    http://sinkthestink.com/

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Bill40421SEI soak my gear in a mix of warm water and vinegar when ever I sail in salt water. That works well on odors.

+1
    I use the tub, a half cup of white vinegar, and cold water, soak everything that was in the salt water overnight, and then hang it up to dry outdoors.
    Easy peazy, cheap, and works well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Couldn't stay ahead of this problem until I started wearing socks inside the boots. Almost all the funk goes out with the socks. Then simple detergent works on the boots.https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131032&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Mark Hirte
    Nacra 5.0 1983 - (1st cat)
    Deerfield, Il
    --
  • Put your shoes in the freezer for 2 days. Bacteria will be killed by the cold.
    I also always rinse my shoes in fresh water before putting in the freezer.
  • Not saying this doesn't help with odor because ... well i don't put my dirty clothing in my freezer

But
    Bacteria can live in your freezer

"Yes, Bacteria Can Live in the Freezer
    (Last Updated On: April 29, 2018)
    bacteria can live in the freezer and on ice creatm
    Bacteria can live in the freezer – and on your ice cream.

Research has confirmed that many species of bacteria can live in freezing temperatures. Some can even live in your freezer, and on your ice cream.

Many of us assume this that bacteria and other pathogenic microbes cannot survive in freezing environments. We assume that bacteria cannot survive in frozen food or freezers.

That, however, is an incorrect assumption"

https://www.realnatural.org/yes-bacteria-can-live-in-the-freezer/?amp
  • So as long as I don't eat my shoes I should be okay? icon_smile
    I have had very good results with the freezer method.
  • upwindhackerPut your shoes in the freezer for 2 days.

There's no way I'm putting those in with my Dino-Bites!!!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    Bill40421SEI soak my gear in a mix of warm water and vinegar when ever I sail in salt water. That works well on odors.

+1
    I use the tub, a half cup of white vinegar, and cold water, soak everything that was in the salt water overnight, and then hang it up to dry outdoors.
    Easy peazy, cheap, and works well.

+2 My wife and I are distance runners and all of that moisture wicking stuff is polyester. I put it in the washer with detergent. I pour the vinegar into the bleach container on the washer. Just make sure you use cold water because I’ve bleached cotton with the vinegar. An added bonus is that the vinegar will clean the smell out of a front loading washer as well.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.