Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What to do with an 81 GCAT 5.0  Bottom

• A couple of years ago I bought an 81 Gcat 5.0 having absolutely no clue what I was getting into other than I knew I wanted to learn about and go sailing. I bought it down in Mexico (Rocky Point) from another American who had bought it from an American who I just happened to know; small world in Mexico. I thought I got a good deal on the boat but about $1,500 later I was now into it for about $2,500...not counting the $500 beach wheels. But the way I see it, (at least this is what I tell my wife) what I learned about how a beach cat is built (I replaced just about everything on the boat!) and the basics of sailing I now have under my belt is invaluable. But what I also learned is the Gcat is a tank. A fellow sailor called it a "pregnant guppy". Most of the time I'm on my own and having to muscle that beast off and on the trailer and into and out of the water is exhausting. Then I got invited to sail on a Hobie 16. Wow. What a difference. I could move that sucker around like it was nothing. So now it's time to move on.

Question for the forum is: what do I do with the ole Gcat?

Keep in mind, it's down in Mexico. I've half heartedly tried to sell it down there. No bites. Maybe I'm just asking too much $1,500.

Moving it to the states is going require new bearings and probably tires on the trailer.

Maybe I should part it out? icon_confused

Thoughts?
  • sell it to one of the beach cat rentals down there
  • moving it to the states may require paperwork too (i really don't know but when i was in the military moving vehicles from country to country was often a fiasco
  • If the rudders and castings are the same as the 5.7, I’d be a buyer. I know that doesn’t solve your problem. +1 on finding a rental fleet, they are great rental boats
  • Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I will check around for the rental option...see if they might be interested in a tank!
  • QuoteI will check around for the rental option...see if they might be interested in a tank!

All due respect
    your gcat 5.0 is not even close to a heavy cat (relatively speaking)

try pushing my 6.0 with wings around - i do it solo all the time
    same with my 5.5 with wings. it weighs about the same

add a 30lb cooler, a dry bag full of gear, spare tools in the hatch, blue tooth radio and now your sweating

and it sits on my 800 lb trailer that i push it into my back yard (solo) ...

Edited by MN3 on Apr 09, 2019 - 09:30 AM.
  • Former Zonie here. If you decide to bring it across the border, think about a large Uhaul box truck. Throw the boat and trailer in the back until you get it home. Some disassembly may be required ...

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.