Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bridle Wire/chainplate connectiom  Bottom

• My Gcat 5.7 has a stainless ring that runs between the 2 bridles and the chainplate for the forestay. I assume I can ditch it for a shackle? Any reason to keep the ring? Seems like a hassle to cut the ring, put on new bridles and then find a stainless welder to tack it back, but if that’s the better configuration I’ll do it
  • Seems like if you just use the biggest bow shackle you can find that will still fit through the bridle thimbles, you should be fine. Lot’s of boats use a shackle.

sm
  • Why would you need to cut the ring? Just crimp the new bridle cables around the ring?
  • QuoteWhy would you need to cut the ring? Just crimp the new bridle cables around the ring?

Thats what I did the first time, but now I have a premade set
  • probably fine to use a shackle but the downside may be:

well a "jesus" shackle will probably weigh more than a ring and i know i couldn't get the shackle on my mast tang through my bridal eyes

a shackle can come un-done with enough bouncing and movement (i have had side stays with shackles come undone if they weren't secured with a plier or had a safety wire attached through a hole in the pin)
    a shackle will deform with enough force (so will a ring)
    and a shackle can rotate around (if the rigging is a little loose and the main is released) and might cause one bridal to be different to the others
  • Loctite.

sm
  • yes loctite would be good idea on any shackles that secure a critical attachment point
    as is rigging tape on any ring-ding
  • jalexMy Gcat 5.7 has a stainless ring that runs between the 2 bridles and the chainplate for the forestay. I assume I can ditch it for a shackle? Any reason to keep the ring? Seems like a hassle to cut the ring, put on new bridles and then find a stainless welder to tack it back, but if that’s the better configuration I’ll do it

I solved the exact same problem on my G-Cat 5.7 with a soft shackle from Ronstan.

http://www.downwindmarine…Shackles-p-91003589.html

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.