Bridle Wire/chainplate connectiom

My Gcat 5.7 has a stainless ring that runs between the 2 bridles and the chainplate for the forestay. I assume I can ditch it for a shackle? Any reason to keep the ring? Seems like a hassle to cut the ring, put on new bridles and then find a stainless welder to tack it back, but if that’s the better configuration I’ll do it
Seems like if you just use the biggest bow shackle you can find that will still fit through the bridle thimbles, you should be fine. Lot’s of boats use a shackle.

sm
Why would you need to cut the ring? Just crimp the new bridle cables around the ring?
QuoteWhy would you need to cut the ring? Just crimp the new bridle cables around the ring?

Thats what I did the first time, but now I have a premade set
probably fine to use a shackle but the downside may be:

well a "jesus" shackle will probably weigh more than a ring and i know i couldn't get the shackle on my mast tang through my bridal eyes

a shackle can come un-done with enough bouncing and movement (i have had side stays with shackles come undone if they weren't secured with a plier or had a safety wire attached through a hole in the pin)
a shackle will deform with enough force (so will a ring)
and a shackle can rotate around (if the rigging is a little loose and the main is released) and might cause one bridal to be different to the others
Loctite.

sm
yes loctite would be good idea on any shackles that secure a critical attachment point
as is rigging tape on any ring-ding
jalexMy Gcat 5.7 has a stainless ring that runs between the 2 bridles and the chainplate for the forestay. I assume I can ditch it for a shackle? Any reason to keep the ring? Seems like a hassle to cut the ring, put on new bridles and then find a stainless welder to tack it back, but if that’s the better configuration I’ll do it

I solved the exact same problem on my G-Cat 5.7 with a soft shackle from Ronstan.

http://www.downwindmarine…Shackles-p-91003589.html