Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer mod and question  Bottom

• So, I'm modifying a swing-away jack to hold my spare tire. It'll be welded up with some faster so it'll e useful for moving on soft surfaces. Anyone else here done this?

I've seen some Aussies do this and, in fact launch their bots off the surf with such a rig. So...why not? Well, besides the obvious salt water bath...but a hot dipped trailer???

For me and the 21, its more than a little tempting, not knowing any better. Worst case-maybe I won't need the trailer dolly any more..

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • You're saying you're going to mount your spare tire onto the swing away tongue jack and use the spare tire in place of the original (small plastic) wheel? I can't really envision how you would easily do that. The spare tire needs to be mounted to a hub in order to spin. You're going to mount a hub and wheel to your jack stand? Sounds pretty cumbersome. Please post some pics when you do this....

sm
  • I'm thinking a set of beach wheels would be a better solution.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I too have considered this idea. The caster mount for a wheel that large would probably have to be custom built.
    https://www.crofttrailer.…oft-pneumatic-wheel-kit/
    https://www.crofttrailer.…hub-for-croft-tow-dolly/
    http://www.seabuddyonboat…-spare-tire-jack-caster/
    Here's a start.
    https://www.google.com/se…33#imgrc=AtvQtcw_xjbZZM:

Edited by gahamby on Dec 01, 2018 - 12:37 PM.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Right!

Like the seabuddy link, only simpler. I am going to weld a spindle onto the place of the plastic wheel, offset on some angle iron. Just bought a $20 swing-away bolt on jack, plus $40 for the hob-not a bunch to risk...

Either way, it'll make moving it around in the yard way easier, I hope. I know that part will work and I have beech wheels-its launching the boat right off the trailer into the surf I'm wondering about. Just seems simpler to dump the 21SE right into the water, but that means no sailbox down low, etc. Noone does this like power boats do?

I'll take pics. May make sparks tonight.

Chuck

Edited by charlescarlis on Dec 01, 2018 - 02:53 PM.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • QuoteJust seems simpler to dump the 21SE right into the water, but that means no sailbox down low, etc. Noone does this like power boats do?

I think it could be a great idea. You could probably hand push the entire unit far enough into the water to float the cat off, without ever getting your vehicles more expensive bearings wet.
    Then just tie a bit of line from the trailer to the vehicle & tow the car trailer back on dry ground, again without getting the vehicle wet.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Did it-pics tomorrow. Not QUITE what I had in mind, but man it makes the trailer easy to move around. The 12" wheel is a bit too tall to run under the trailer and still allow it to hook up to my truck. The whole thing seems to work empty at least. Will load my boat back up tomorrow and see what that's like. Appears like a single wheel/jack isn't going to be in the cards due to geometry, unless I give up the ability to castor the wheel.

Huh...or mount the jack stand higher up...would require jacking up to castor, but could lower for hook-up...hmmmm. Pics coming.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • Added a photo album:
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=130599

So, lessons are:
    1) Watch the wheel clearance; just got lucky when I welded the spindle to the jack.
    2) The cheap jacks are pretty darned sloppy; this doesn't help the already bad offset. The trailer is great/steady pushed backwards when the wheel is under the tongue, but a little floppy when moving it forward.
    3) The rake is about perfect; the thing is WAY easy to change directions.
    4) Not useful to attach to your vehicle; as it sits, it's too high. I'll try attaching it to the upright and see if it gains some utility.

Used cold galvanizing everywhere. Abrasive blaster saved TONS of time.

The goal was to make the trailer as immediately beach friendly as possible; giving me the ability to push the thing into the surf and use that same tire as the spare.

The compromise is likely no ability to castor the large wheel and install it to just flip into position. I'll try it out some more and report back. Hey, if nothing else, it was fun.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • The mod looks nice and makes wheeling the trailer around easier I'm sure. I would have gone for a smaller tire but hey its not not my trailer.

I would NOT run your trailer into the water if you can avoid it. The bearings rust, lights leak, axle rusts, frame bolts etc. Its just not good. It sounds like you already have beach wheels which are designed for this task (and are made up entirely of parts that do not rust or easily corrode). Usually getting the boat back out of the water is the harder task and you can still do this with a power vehicle and a line around the mast base.
  • Charlie, when posting a link, don’t post the link directly, it isn’t “live”, & viewers have to copy your link, then paste into the browser.
    Click on the little “URL” button, just below where you type the post. That will place a set of brackets into your post. The paste your link exactly inside those brackets, it’s now “live”, & can simply be clicked on, like so,
    https://www.thebeachcats.…662c90abf23cdfd79c111728
    Good job on the mod.

Edited by Edchris177 on Dec 03, 2018 - 04:31 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • looks like your mk1 will help you move it around the yard - well done

mk2 will probably solve a few of your current issues -

mk4 may be marketable :) prost

i had a version of this a decade ago after seeing someone make something similar out of wood for his dart18

my hopes were: that i could get my boat up the beach solo
    with my boat that had a spin/much heavier it was not of much value on the beach

i purchased a dolly for my yard: - i would have a hernia without it pushing my 6.0 uphill into my backyard

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/ae1e5216-cf59-4693-b8cf-80ec66e565ea_1.ff710968bc8971ce7facb02839806829.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Edited by MN3 on Dec 03, 2018 - 06:59 PM.
  • Yeah, have had a dolly some time now.

I agree about not getting the trailer in the salt water, having grown up on the Gulf coast, however folks launch and retrieve boats all day long here. Hot dipped galvanized parts and replace, rinse, grease etc. I solder my wires/lights, heat shrink and tape. Probably doesn't buy me even an extra year on my trailers, but they seem more reliable.

The idea was to make this SIMPLER, hence using the spare. If it worked, then beach wheels and another step could be eliminated.

Oh well.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --
  • MN3i had a version of this a decade ago after seeing someone make something similar out of wood for his dart18 ...

I’m the current keeper of that Dart 18 version. I don’t have the boat at home or I’d take a picture.

Imagine a “U” made of wood where the square tongue of the trailer fits inside the “U”. Attached at the bottom is a bracket that holds the axle of the wheels. The wheels (2) are outside the wood “U” and about 8 or 10 inches in diameter. I can take some pictures the next time I’m at the boat if you like.

The upside to this system is that it’s very easy and I can roll the boat easily to the waterline. The downside is that the wheels don’t turn, so you have to lift the tongue to make course adjustments.

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • It looks like it would be easier to move around on solid ground with the larger wheel and tire on the trailer jack, but soft sand, or at a boat ramp? When I launch my boat, I back the trailer near the water, then I just put the boat on the beach wheels and push it into the water, my trailer doesn't touch the water at all, it works for me. I guess hey if your set up works for you, then that is all that matters. It would be cool to have a trailer with some big ol balloon beach wheel tires!!! icon_biggrin

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • charlescarlis

The idea was to make this SIMPLER, hence using the spare. If it worked, then beach wheels and another step could be eliminated.

Well done, thanks for sharing!
    You may want to have some wheel stops handy now, maybe attached to the trailer.
    About beach wheels, I wouldn't get rid of them, there's a number of situations where you may still need them
  • I bought a new to me F16 a few months ago. What came with it was a three wheeled, four cradle Cat Trax brand beach dolly. I tried to find them being sold today but nothing available on line. Originally I was going to sell it but after I used it, no way. Better than beach wheels and easier to move than a trailer. If anyone is interested, I can send along a pic but it is a great piece of beach cat equipment and might be what you are really looking for.

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • So, maybe not for the beach, but wholly carp Batman! This thing has been great for moving the 600+pounds around the yard. Way easier than the dolly from HF. Also, at max height, the trailer tilts way up, draining the boat clean and making it easy to work on the centerboards and hull. Storing it that way, since I'm getting rain water in hulls. Need to replace ports.

For that alone, I'll continue on. Yeah, beach wheels will be used, I guess. All my launching will be from beaches, I'm thinking.

--
    Chuck C.
    H21SE 408
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.