Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

One-up sailing with spinnaker  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteA quick look around McMaster Carr found these
    https://www.mcmaster.com/spring-clips
    One of those should do the trick.

Yes they look about the same as the hobie clips
    funny - i have one of these on my garage wall - i think it was a fire extinguisher holder

also great prices for quick release shackles on that page but they warn "not for lifting" - hmmmm
  • I sail my F18 single handed from time to time. It is certainly a bit of a scramble getting the spinnaker up and down (along with rotation and cunningham released, boards up, jib eased, etc.). Fortunately, in my case, my boat normally has slight weather helm. With the spinnaker up it has slight lee helm. This is super helpful.

I try to let the sails help me around the course. I ease the main significantly as I come around the top mark so the boat will stay pointed relatively downwind - perhaps 45deg from DDW. Then when I pull the kite up, it tends to go even deeper until I grab the tiller and start to heat it up. I do firm up the main so the mast is properly supported.

At the bottom of the course I ease the main and douse a bit early so I don't have a mess at the mark and then firm the main up as I round the bottom gate/mark.

In bigger wind 12-15kts, I leave the spinnaker in the bag and go old-school and do the wild thing.

15kts+ is too much for me single-handed. Time for a beer.

Edited by rehmbo on Jul 03, 2019 - 09:11 AM.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Quote15kts+ is too much for me single-handed. Time for a beer.

+1
    I used to single hand my 20’ Mystere, with a tramp launched kite.
    Talk about fools rushing in.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.