Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cat Sailing on the Pamlico River  Bottom

• Does anyone sail the Pamlico River in North Carolina? I started sailing in 1983 on a Prindle 16 I purchased in Greenville, NC. There were a good group of Hobies, Prindles and Nacras every weekend. We launched from Whichards Beach where the Tar River and Chocowinity Bay meet.

Now my stepson is going to ECU and I would love to take him sailing on the Pamlico but I understand Whichards was sold and turned into a private community.

Does anyone know of another place to launch in the Washington, NC area?

Thank you

--
    Bob Bitting
    Mooresville, NC
    1983 Prindle 16
    2012 A-Class Catamaran
    --
  • Across the river there is a small boat ramp.
    Intersection of River Road and Honey Pod Farm Road.
    But can you sail under the River Road bridge?
    Not much else in the way of beaches in either direction.

I searched the shore toward the ocean and all I found was endless private docks for the McMansions on the shore line. They do not seem beach- or even public-friendly.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your reply. Did you live and sail on the Pamlico River? If so, what did you sail? and where did you launch?
    Thanks, Bob

--
    Bob Bitting
    Mooresville, NC
    1983 Prindle 16
    2012 A-Class Catamaran
    --
  • czbob75fDoes anyone know of another place to launch in the Washington, NC area?

Although a bit further east, Oriental, NC has a couple of places I have used. There's a small beach in town which is past Oriental #1 opening up in to the sound. I have never been sure who actually owns it, but have used it numerous times even leaving my boat on the beach for a few days with no issues.

Then there is a public launch ramp adjacent to the Route 55 bridge. The ramp is doable, but there is no beach so ...

The waters off Oriental are my favorite place to sail as you get coastal breezes, but you're between the mainland and the Outer Banks so you don't get monster rollers/waves even when the winds pick up (usually).

One last possibility from my experience is Bath, NC. The Bath Harbor Marina, http://www.bathharbor.com/ has a several rooms and a ramp. Very reasonable prices and friendly folks when I've been there. Again no beach and you have to sail out of the harbor, but doable plus you can walk around Black Beard's old stomping ground.

Please report back if you find any options and thanks for info. on Whichards I had not heard it was repurposed.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Thanks for the recommendations, guys! I'll be taking note of these.
  • czbob75fHi Bob,
    Thanks for your reply. Did you live and sail on the Pamlico River? If so, what did you sail? and where did you launch?

I passed through town there once, but for you I was searching on Google Earth.
    I live in AZ.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • leeboweffect
    czbob75fDoes anyone know of another place to launch in the Washington, NC area?

Although a bit further east, Oriental, NC has a couple of places I have used. There's a small beach in town which is past Oriental #1 opening up in to the sound. I have never been sure who actually owns it, but have used it numerous times even leaving my boat on the beach for a few days with no issues.

Then there is a public launch ramp adjacent to the Route 55 bridge. The ramp is doable, but there is no beach so ...

The waters off Oriental are my favorite place to sail as you get coastal breezes, but you're between the mainland and the Outer Banks so you don't get monster rollers/waves even when the winds pick up (usually).

One last possibility from my experience is Bath, NC. The Bath Harbor Marina, http://www.bathharbor.com/ has a several rooms and a ramp. Very reasonable prices and friendly folks when I've been there. Again no beach and you have to sail out of the harbor, but doable plus you can walk around Black Beard's old stomping ground.

Please report back if you find any options and thanks for info. on Whichards I had not heard it was repurposed.

Hi Leeboweffect,

I'm planning on sailing somewhere in eastern NC this summer. I saw your post about Oriental. Can you advise with some possible details of where "the small beach in town.... is?

Thanks.
  • If you aren't set on a specific area check out lake waccamaw. Very quiet, little used lake with some vacation rental houses
  • 7005beachcatHi Leeboweffect,

I'm planning on sailing somewhere in eastern NC this summer. I saw your post about Oriental. Can you advise with some possible details of where "the small beach in town.... is?

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response. Here ya go...

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131714&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • 11th Street Morehead City has public access
    Check out Sail Carteret face book page for info on the area.
    They're planning a couple of social outings

July 20th Cats on the Sound
    August 3rd Cats to the Cape....Cape Lookout

maybe leeboweffect will come get salty at one of these events as he's a lake sailor icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Edited by topcat16 on Jul 01, 2019 - 11:03 AM.
  • leeboweffect
    7005beachcatHi Leeboweffect,

Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed response. Here ya go...

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=131714&g2_serialNumber=3

I grew up in Oriental; although only visit now a few times a year, the little beach is a town park and acceptable to launch cats. There are some post separating the street from the beach that can be problematic to get the cat over. Oriental is a great sailing area, has more sail boats than permanent residents.

The boats are mostly mono hull 23'-45' boats and they have an active sailing association with races each weekend and some week day afternoons. There is a business, "Bow to Stern" that has smaller boats; however, I inquired about launching at their place last summer and they were not receptive to the idea indication they are crowded with their own boats.

Check out the town internet https://towndock.net/

Edited by gulfstream40 on Jul 01, 2019 - 01:58 PM.
  • topcat1611th Street Morehead City has public access
    Check out Sail Carteret face book page for info on the area.
    They're planning a couple of social outings

July 20th Cats on the Sound
    August 3rd Cats to the Cape....Cape Lookout

maybe leeboweffect will come get salty at one of these events as he's a lake sailor icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol Edited by topcat16 on Jul 01, 2019 - 11:03 AM.

I launched here and the ramp next door a few time last summer. The ramp could be ok but it appears that an individual consistently ties his fishing boat up to the end of the dock anchoring off his stern making it VERY difficult to get around to the sandy area on the other side of the fishing boat to pull up sails etc.

Go for the 11st sailing club beach wheels launch and park at the boat ramp with your trailer.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.