Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

F18 sails on a Tornado?  Bottom

• The masts are the same length. Will this work?

Sport sails are scarce for a T20. Getting a square top from an F18 would be easier. How about head sails and kite?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • This table should paint the picture: https://www.schrs.com/ratings.php

The F18 main is a touch smaller-0.5 m^2 when including mast area in both measurements-but it is actually even smaller than that as the F18's run a wing mast so their main is smaller to compensate. T jibs are higher aspect ratio I believe, and the kites are 25 m^2 vs. the F18 at 21 m^2. Can you make it work? Yes, but its far less than ideal.

Personally I would order a new set of T sails from 1D Sails and specify 3mil Apen 06OD Pentex laminate (vs. the 1.5 mil that is common on racing boats like the T), this is the fabric Performance Sails use on their F18 sails that last a solid 10 years of regular use.
  • we used to get gently used T sails from Robbie Daniel (these sails were raced 1 or 2 times by pros and then no longer "fresh enough" for them)

The mystere 6.0 mast is 31' but the T sails fit perfect
    we would need to cut down the head a little if being used on our 5.5 (30')

I can only assume our hooks are lower on our masts than the T's and this is how the T sail fit perfect on a 31' mast and too tall for the 30' mast

I have a few Capricorn (f18) sails that I use on my 5.5 (basically a f18 but has center boards vs dagger boards f18's use). The f18 sail has much smaller foot and roach. It is fine upwind but a dog downwind (size is king downwind)

same goes for the jib. The self tacking T jibs are much smaller than the stock ones we use and have the same issue, fine upwind, dog downwind

As Sam mentioned, the f18 spin is noticeably smaller. My first spin was an old f18 spin and was fine as a starter spin but is a dog compared to the standard T spin (which I have had 3 and is what i currently use).

If your not racing/sailing with other cats, it's not a big deal -but it's not competitive

Edited by MN3 on Apr 16, 2018 - 04:55 PM.
  • Thanks

I sort of like the idea of a starter spin as we are transitioning from classic to sport

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • John, PM sent.
  • Soooo..... I have a BEAUTIFUL set of Ullman Zuccoli Tornado sails made by Pablo Soldano that I was going to list for sale if a friend in the UK didn't want them.
  • PM sent

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.