Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New P18-2 Owner Saying Hi and Thanks  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• MN3
    Quotebut unfortunately didn't have the presence of mind to do it yesterday while rocking & rolling solo in pretty heavy conditions.

Brrrrrr - i just checked the weather up there ....
    brrrrr

hope your hand is ok
    I bet you will have presence of mind next gybe

Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty cool temp-wise - that's why they named it "the Nutsfreezer Race." icon_lol

And no need to apply ice to my hand, it was cold enough already.

Edited by CatFan57 on Oct 29, 2018 - 10:41 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • CatFan57Too bad for some reason while changing position on the tramp during the jibe I momentarily left one hand in the wrong spot and took a blood-producing impact from the traveler car as it flew across. I was making sure not to get hit by the boom and main blocks, but the back of my hand got nailed by the traveler car.

Sorry to hear about your hand injury.

As you move to the center of the tramp at the rear crossbar to gybe, move your tiller extender over first and use that hand to hold the extender to the tiller crossbar. Loosen the mainsheet and start your gybe. Now grab the mainsheet between the blocks with the opposite hand and force it to the other side. Don't let go of the mainsheet right away to soften the blow when the battens pop over. Both hands should be busy and out of harm's way. After a bit of practice this will become second nature and you will have confidence even in a blow.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldAs you move to the center of the tramp at the rear crossbar to gybe, move your tiller extender over first and use that hand to hold the extender to the tiller crossbar. Loosen the mainsheet and start your gybe. Now grab the mainsheet between the blocks with the opposite hand and force it to the other side. Don't let go of the mainsheet right away to soften the blow when the battens pop over. Both hands should be busy and out of harm's way. After a bit of practice this will become second nature and you will have confidence even in a blow.

Okay Klozhald, thanks for the suggested hand coordination on the gybe. I just found a video showing it at 2:05 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-CkORf3-w, which I think looks the same, or pretty close to what you're suggesting. So I'll start practicing that too.

Edited by CatFan57 on Oct 31, 2018 - 05:47 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • CatFan57
    klozhaldAs you move to the center of the tramp at the rear crossbar to gybe, move your tiller extender over first and use that hand to hold the extender to the tiller crossbar. Loosen the mainsheet and start your gybe. Now grab the mainsheet between the blocks with the opposite hand and force it to the other side. Don't let go of the mainsheet right away to soften the blow when the battens pop over. Both hands should be busy and out of harm's way. After a bit of practice this will become second nature and you will have confidence even in a blow.

Okay Klozhald, thanks for the suggested hand coordination on the gybe. I just found a video showing it at 2:05 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-CkORf3-w, which I think looks the same, or pretty close to what you're suggesting. So I'll start practicing that too.Edited by CatFan57 on Oct 31, 2018 - 05:47 AM.

You can also throw the tiller extension into the water and steer from the crossbar, then take it again if you want, or keep driving from the crossbar. Sometimes I find myself holding the tiller extension and crossbar together more than necessary, it's uncomfortable and sometimes the the extension may get stuck underneath the other tubes, dragged by water from the outside end (perhaps that depends on the specific boat, mine is not a Prindle)

Edited by Andinista on Nov 01, 2018 - 11:35 AM.
  • CatFan57Okay Klozhald, thanks for the suggested hand coordination on the gybe. I just found a video showing it at 2:05 here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-CkORf3-w, which I think looks the same, or pretty close to what you're suggesting. So I'll start practicing that too.

Yes, that's it.
    He has his traveler car near the center, and you may be traveled out more when you gybe, but the process is as you see it.
    I don't drop my extender in the water because there is a large cork ball on the end which causes a wicked bounce on the water when dragging it behind. My extension is extendable, and I collapse it prior to moving in to gybe.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Nice tip. :)

--
    France at Home is an online French Supermarket that sells French products such as bread, appetizers, cheese, jams, foie gras, condiments, shampoo, saucisson, french mustard, and French bread. France At Home offers new & quality French Food because it imports products from France then deliver directly to your doorstep.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.