Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie getaway hull crack  Bottom

• Hello all I’m just wondering if anyone has any experience with sealing or repairing a small hull crack near The crossbeam? I have a small 2-3” Long crack and want to seal it or completely. I have no experience with plastic hulls.
  • Probably a question best asked on the Hobie forum or sent directly to Matt Miller.

Some pictures would also be helpful.

The general consensus is that, since polyethylene is an inert material, there is really nothing that will permanently bond to it so repairing cracks in the hulls is difficult to impossible. I believe some folks have reported having marginally successful results using polyethylene welders or West Systems G-Flex epoxy.

Depending on the location of the crack, generally the best/strongest approach is to "splint" the cracked area back together using mechanical fasteners (screws/bolts/rivets) and a backing plate of some sort, preferrably on the inside of the hull. Seal the crack and the fasteners with silicone caulk or similar when installing the backing plate.

sm
  • I’ve seen a couple of YouTube videos of repairs done but I’m not sure how long they will last! The spot where the crack is is not load bearing so I’ll probably just try to cover it and keep an eye on it
  • I read a post from Matt on Hobie.com that the Wave is cross-linked polyethylene, and that it can't be welded... if you heat it enough to fuse it, it doesn't get gooey... it liquefies and runs. Messy. The upside of cross-linked PE is better impact resistance and surface shine.

I have had a kayak made from linear PE successfully welded, and it works well. I've also patched a Royalex boat (composite material: layers of vinyl, hard ABS, and foam) with epoxy... G-flex epoxy was unavailable at that time. That's what I'd use today, and what I recommend for cross-linked PE -- it sticks to plastic and has some flex. I've read that 'preheating' cross-linked PE makes it easier to stick to (beyond just mechanical roughing up, there's something chemical at work). Google kayak repairs for TONS of info on this... that hobby has been doing this for longer and more often than the Hobie community.

Randii

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.