Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P19 Restoration Officially Done and Tested  Bottom

• Got the P19 out in some heavy air for the first time this past Friday afternoon, and it didn't fall apart.

I love this boat. Way different from the H18. Video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjJNvMhzvE

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Boat (and sails) look great! enjoy

PS are those shroud extenders i see?
  • Yeah. They came with the boat. About the only use for me is that they make stepping the mast easier.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • how does having more slop in your sidestays make it easier to step?

I would think that would let the head of the mast bob around a bunch (which wouldn't help or hurt stepping but would freak me the hell out while doing it)
  • MN3, you need some slop in the side stays to get the forestay into position. This is one way to do that.

They also aide in righting.

As to the O.P, nice ride and nice sails! Looks fast. A tip, I would rig a chicken line into the rear beam with a quick release hook in place of your safety tether. The latter looks fine on an offshore boat, but on a beachcat if things go pear shaped, which they do, an open hook (https://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=223) is a better choice.

Edited by samc99us on Apr 12, 2018 - 12:33 PM.
  • QuoteMN3, you need some slop in the side stays to get the forestay into position. This is one way to do that.

Forestay into position? huh?

oh you mean with a hobie style furler (where a adjuster plate slides down)?

I use a Portuguese turnbuckle on both my boats so that's not an issue
  • When stepping my mast, I lash the trapeze wires to the front crossbar. So I have side-to-side support the entire time. I just leave the tensioners loose to pin the forestay. (No aduster plate). Then snap 'em back into place. It's pretty quick.

Regarding the safety tether: When I sail to the Channel Islands it actually IS sort of an offshore boat. I've got a jack line running the width of the boat so I can tack without unclipping. On trips with crew, one person is always clipped in when it's rough. When solo, I am usually clipped in unless it's light. This saved my bacon once, when a trapeze wire failed about 4 miles out.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • QuoteWhen stepping my mast, I lash the trapeze wires to the front crossbar. So I have side-to-side support the entire time. I just leave the tensioners loose to pin the forestay. (No aduster plate). Then snap 'em back into place. It's pretty quick

Got it, seems like a nice setup (much better than using a hobie furler and needing to loosen/tighten a side-stay
  • Mattson, how did you rig your safety tether?

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • cholley12Mattson, how did you rig your safety tether?

I'm sure Mattson can reply for himself, but he did provide a description of it in a couple posts in this thread:

https://www.thebeachcats.…pic/topic/16315/start/20

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • I missed that thread. Thanks

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • If you look at his video from 1:47 to 1:56, you can see where he has the red & white "jack line" tied to the rear corner of the tramp on the port side (I assume around the tramp ropes in that area), and if you freeze-frame frame by frame through the first 10-15 seconds of the video you get a pretty good look at the rig once you figure out which lines are which.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jun 03, 2019 - 11:12 PM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.