Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Does anyone know of a catamaran that can drop and raise the mast while in the water?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• QuoteMight be easier to change boats.

I agree - there is little chance (imho) of you using a tornado in this 4 mile trek (even with a motor, what will you do with 31 of mast. i

QuoteThere is something on U tube that starts with "Can your Trimaran do this?" and that is about what I need for my creek to lake excursions, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with the guy that posted the video!

The Everglades challenge has dozens of unique boats like the one in the video
    they used to require the ability to drop a mast to go under low bridges on the course

I posted many pics here and on catsailor.com but seems many are gone
    https://www.catsailor.com…hallenge-2015#Post277861

You may try to find members or pics/vids for inspiration

Edited by MN3 on Apr 13, 2018 - 07:18 PM.
  • A Hobie bravo mast can be raised and lowered on the water. I know this because I was the first to complete the Everglades challenge in one last year and I had to lower my mast to get to a beach blocked by mangroves overhead once. Also I use a hobie bravo as my tender to my cruising trimaran. I’ve raised and lowered the mast on the water hundreds of times in anything under 20 kts of wind. If the waves were bad I would just angle my anchor to the big boat to block them. In case any of you don’t know the hobie bravo I’ll explain how I do it. First of all I have a bridal for my bow line that I tie to the two forward scupper holes just aft of the mast. And a tie that bow line as far forward as convenient. The longer the bow line the smoother the motion over waves. Then I grab my mast with the sail riled up around it and hold it waist height with the top of the mast over the bow of the bravo. Then I slowly walk back taking very small steps as I balance the mast still at waist height. Once my back foot gets to the top rudder pintle i know I’m far back enough. Then I slide the mast back until the mast base is close to the mast ball and I lower the mast onto the ball and push the mast onto the ball. It is help captive by my weight as I lean into it and raise the other end of the mast. Then I attach the retaining bar and safety strap. Secure my reefing line. Then i unlatch the sail tie and hook my main sheet hook onto the clew. Untie my bow line and push away. Release my reefing line and tug on my main sheet a bit and I’m sailing. I’m a hurry I can raise my sail and be sailing in 5 minutes. I guess I need to make a video next time! Cheers! Also please check out my instagram shipwrecksurvivor
  • I have a feeling that an aqua cat can raise and lower the mast on the water too but I can’t find info on that yet. Does anyone know?
  • It’s a pretty old post, I assume the OP has moved on.
    He didn’t say what the “creek” is like, how big/deep/steep, or the lake, or how heavy he is.
    I’d do what the sailors in England do at one distance race.
    They sail Dart 15’s. Simply put the cat in its side, walk it under the bridge, flip it back on its feet & sail on.
    The Baby Dart is a blast in high winds, & carries a single adult, or two smaller folks just fine.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks for replying. Im thinking of keeping my hobie 16 and a h14 for free in a river with a bunch of low bridges. I think the bottom is too deep to walk my capsized boat under the bridge but if i have a mast float i could capsize it and tow it out with a kayak during an outbound tide by the mast. The kayak is mostly for steerage and speeding the whole thing up.

Btw i just saw a dart 15 for the first time yesterday. Very cool boat! Plastic hulls! Looks like a melvin morelly looks space age. The one i saw was a cool gun metal grey are they all that color?

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.