Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another jib related question ...  Bottom

• On my boat, the jib lines run through plastic rings on each side. The "rings" have a line that runs to a cleat on one side of the boat. (I think.)

What are these rings?

What do they do?

How do I adjust them?

Dana

--
    Dana, Holly, Emma & Hannah

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • The line that controls the ring sounds like a Barber Hauler. If so, you would use it to change the angle of your jib for off-wind sailing (pulling the clew outboard) - very useful. The ring should not be plastic, though. Maybe it's a lightweight metal?
    The line controlling the rings should be a single piece, connected to both rings at each side and cleatable at both ends of the front crossbar. Some cats use a small block with a becket in place of the ring, but the ring was standard fare on the Dart.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Yes, barber haulers. But using a ring (of any material) makes adjusting the jib sheet very difficult due to the amount of friction. You're much better off attaching a small bullet block with becket to the barber hauler line and running your jib sheet through that. You will find that it makes the jib infinitely easier to adjust.

sm
  • Thanks a bunch! I'll have to take a picture. I could be wrong, but it seems like the "rings" would keep the jib in, rather than forcing it out. When I posted, i was looking at the boat unrigged. I'm sure viewing it rigged will help me understand it better.

Bob, where are you in AZ? We lived in North Scottsdale before moving to FL.

--

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • dartsailorsBob, where are you in AZ? We lived in North Scottsdale before moving to FL.

[/list]
    Hey Dana!
    I live at the "corner" of Mesa, Gilbert, and Chandler, off Country Club Drive. Went to Arcadia High School way back before Chaparral or Horizon were even built.
    How far north did you live? I have a sailing buddy north of Dixileta. He keeps a monohull at Bartlet Lake.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • We were at the "corner' of where Phoenix, Scottsdale and Cave Creek meet. It's funny you mention Dixileta as our last house was at Scottsdale Road and Dixileta. Our first place was in Legend Trail, which is on Pima just before the Carefree Highway.

We've been to Barlett Lake but didn't realize you could sail on it. Where do you typically sail?

Dana

--

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • dartsailorsWe've been to Barlett Lake but didn't realize you could sail on it. Where do you typically sail?

My buddy's Capri 22 is the only sailboat on Bartlett. Mostly we go up there one weekend in Feb to sail, BBQ and drink Asti Spumonte. Midway through our last bottle we discovered that heeling to the point that water comes into the cockpit over the gunnels is really more of a reference point than a barrier. Good thing I only drink twice a year. :)

Typically I sail Lake Pleasant because it's close, or Roosevelt Lake because its the best but requires overnight camping. THE sailing event I look forward to each year is the Tri-Point Race off Ventura CA. It's 40 mile race rounding an oil derrick and Anacapa Island with a screaming 20 mile reach back to shore for a finish. Upwards of five cats from the Phx area travel there for the race (and one cat from Texas).

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Good thing I only drink twice a year. :)

Klozhald, I am calling BS on this statement. I know of no sailor who only drinks twice a year!!!

best
    Windwardde

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • windwarddeKlozhald, I am calling BS on this statement. I know of no sailor who only drinks twice a year!!!

Sadly, it's true. I have to go off a medicine to imbibe, and prior planning is needed. The good news is, that makes it a real celebration. icon_cool

I do appreciate your diligence on the matter. Somebody needs to police this group!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • just saw posts please send photo -on my dart 18s jib blocks on tracks on each hull , run almost 18 inches so hard to fathom what your describing .if their set up on front cross bar ,right and left ,like most American cats ,hobies, prindles, nacras, prior comments appropos
  • When I got my Tornado it had plastic rings for the barberhaulers. One of them broke on our initial outing.
    Replaced them with bullet blocks as suggested above.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • dartsailorsThanks a bunch! I'll have to take a picture. I could be wrong, but it seems like the "rings" would keep the jib in, rather than forcing it out.

When I saw Andrew's post on the NCARA 6.0 jib setup, I realized I never posted a photo of my boat. Andrew's graphic depicts my system and what are definitely barber haulers:

https://static.shoplightspeed.com/shops/609908/files/003907539/h2004b1.jpg

Now I just need to figure out how to use them!

--

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • QuoteNow I just need to figure out how to use them!

When sailing upwind, you want a tightly sheeted and mostly flat jib sail - with the jib blocks inboard and "typically" equal pull on the leach/foot (this changes a little in different conditions, but leaving it in this equal pull position is fine for recreational sailing)

in downwind sailing you want the jib blocks out and forward with a fuller "parachute" like sail (think spinnaker)

using the barber hauler, you can move your jib sheeting angle all the way out and forward to the front beam via 1 line adjustment (well you would need to loosen your jib sheet too but you wouldn't have to move your jib blocks via a 4 way adjuster - and even if you have/use a 4way, you wont get to the front beam)

barber haulers works best in broad reaching to deep downwind sailing

Sidenote: i have used rings for my barberhauler , both plastic and metal
    Pros: cheaper than blocks , and the metal rings will work pretty well (in my experience) but not as well as blocks
    cons: plastic will melt with friction, and will then snag your sheets

Barber haulers have limited use, and add gear to the tramp, which can be a pita
    I flip-flop on their value and take mine off when i get annoyed at all the spaghetti on my deck - then i miss having them (as Rey passes me) and put them back on. The struggle is real
  • Pretty much all I'm doing is reaching at this point and I haven't tried to use them. I think I need to get out there and just start pulling on them to see what happens and how the boat reacts.

Saturday would have been excellent for that, except all of my crew (all 3) were either sick or tied up with other things. Grrr!

--

LJ/Stu's Dart 18
    --
  • QuoteSaturday would have been excellent for that, except all of my crew (all 3) were either sick or tied up with other things. Grrr!

Sat was pretty heavy air - perfect for a dart
    http://www.iwindsurf.com/cgi-bin/newgraph.gif?siteid=1925&regionid=149&graphType=1&wid=1&days=2&tid=453&hid=30432507&rid=577191331

I will PM you my number in case your in that situation again

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.