Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New On Deck or On Tramp  Bottom

• Hi all,
    I just joined the forum and thought I would introduce myself. I’m Bill Haller a.k.a. Lastfin. I’m reentering sailing after a hiatus of about 25 years. After growing up in the Chesapeake Bay area I learned to sail in Oklahoma while in the Air Force. Over the years I’ve owned three sailboats from 12 to 30 feet and sailed in and chartered boats in Europe, Mediterranean and the Caribbean. I sailed a Hobie 16 in Panama City, FL once and loved it.

Now we have a place on Lake Sinclair in middle GA and I really miss sailing. I have a pontoon boat but I really want to get back into sailing and especially pass that skill on to my kids and grandchildren. My son really wanted a cat, so this past weekend I bought a 1981 P18. She seems to be in pretty good shape for a 31 year old boat. She has normal beach rash and came with an extra set of rudders and a forward cross beam. Sails are original with a single batten missing from the main. All the sheets, halyards, stays, shrouds are new.

The trailer is in good shape with all of the lights working; that was a pleasant surprise. Items of immediate concern are replacing the rollers on the trailer, making sure the kick-up rudders work correctly and finally trying to figure out how to step the mast.

I look forward to participating in this forum and won’t hesitate to ask questions when I need help. It’s great to be onboard and can’t wait to get back in the wind!

--
    Bill
    --
  • Welcome Bill. Sounds like you've been bitten by the cat and now have the fever, Lol. Your boat sounds nice, you can create an album on this forum and post pictures. How long ago did you sail the Hobie in PC? I lived in PC for a short time in the very early 90's, grew up in Niceville, Valparaiso, and Destin. I now reside in Opelika, Al. We have a family place on Lake Martin and although it's not very beachcat friendly there, because of sea walls, I have sailed there a couple of times.
    Anyway, you have come to the right place for all things beachcat and there are lots of helpful people on here that can help you with anything concerning your Prindle. One thing I would suggest, concerning stepping the mast, is to try to find videos on you tube about setting up your boat, helps if you have a manual also.
    Welcome again, and happy sailing,

(our season up here is about to be done, but I'm gonna try to get in some sailing around Thanksgiving when I have some time off from work, also the lake level will be down a bit and I may have a little beach at our place which would be awesome!!!)

Edited by martyr on Nov 07, 2017 - 07:48 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Aloha Bill. "Power To The Prindles" - Right On! banana

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Welcome, Bill. My prior cat was a Prindle 18 so I am very familiar with it. Go to Google and search "Prindle Manual" and print it out. The instructions on stepping the mast are pretty good. Prior to stepping mast make sure shrouds are attached to mast and hulls. Make sure mast is fully rigged (forestay, trapeze wires , main halyard, jib halyard in correct places). Lengthen the forestay turnbuckle prior to starting (see instructions in Prindle Manual). I prefer to step with two people although there are rigs that allow you to do it alone (gin pole, etc.). Attach about 30 foot line (strong enough to hold up mast) to lower end of forestay or I prefer to attach lower end eye of trap wire (this way it can be removed after mast is stepped). Place base of mast on its side with the hing pin hookup facing down. Attach the aft portion of the hinge pin to the mast (if you hook up the fore section to the mast it will bend your hing pins) and leave the fore portion attached to the front beam at the base of the mast rotator ball (see pictures in Manual). Make sure cat is on level ground and if not level bow should be lower than stern. With assistance of other person on ground and you on the tramp place base of mast on rotator ball on front beam. Once on rotator, have helper continue to lift mast until he can not get it any higher, then you have to take over and continue to raise mast and keep straight. After you are lifting mast alone, helper should take the line you attached (which should be in front of cat between hulls) and keep under moderate tension to help you raise mast and help to keep it from swaying. Once mast is stepped unhook hing pin from mast and rotate mast into position. Helper should continue to hold mast up with line until forestay is attached to bow tangs with turnbuckle and turnbuckle is shortened (tightened). Off course when stepping mast make sure there are no overhead wires or anything else that could harm you or keep you from completing the stepping process. If you find you need parts Murray's Sailing in California has most common Prindle parts.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Prindle Manual:
    http://www.nacra.com.au/w…/08/prindle_15_16_18.pdf

Prindle rudders in detail: (Turbohobo created this)
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=89541

Place to start looking at rollers - shipping is $$$ they are heavy!
    http://www.easternmarine.…raight-Rollers-End-Caps/

Edited by klozhald on Nov 08, 2017 - 01:09 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Welcome to the forum

another trailer roller resource (with price matching)
    overtons.com

and this is a good one too - they don't sell to the public but make it pretty easy to find a location to order
    http://www.continentaltrailers.com/continentalcatalogue.pdf

klozhald
    Place to start looking at rollers - shipping is $$$ they are heavy!
    http://www.easternmarine.…raight-Rollers-End-Caps/Edited by klozhald on Nov 08, 2017 - 01:09 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.