Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Combination padlock as snap shackle to attach forestay?  Bottom

• RE the usual problem of wrestling with the clevis pins and the forestay and the bridle wires and the bridle vane mount and the ring-dings etc when raising the mast on a cat:

We've all seen the various discussions around why using quick release hardware is a bad idea on the forestay, and it struck me what we really need is the opposite - quick-connect, but with more work involved to get it to release. Has anyone ever tried using a combination lock (obviously you'd need one with a good load rating and weather resistance) as a snap shackle? Either U-lock or the straight-shackle ones you use to lock the trailer on the ball? It could substitute directly for a clevis pin (and eliminate a ring-ding) or replace a shackle elsewhere in the applications you wish you could trust a snap shackle for.

This seems to me to be a fairly generalizable approach to many problems we have on boats (where you want to be able to connect things quickly, and have them hold reliably) whereas much of the hardware seems to focus on releasing things quickly and (sometimes too) easily. One handed operation etc. I've looked around the internet though and not seen anything mentioning it. Has this been tried and failed? Too ugly?

Thanks

Mark
  • I know for a fact they wouldn't last here in florida
    our regular key locks fail after a few seasons on our trailers -

i would bet they fill with sand and salt and are impossible to open after some time too

also not the correct shape for our needs

and very heavy compared to a pin and ring
  • I'm always hesitant to use something non marine grade on a rig, especially a forestay. There are lots of pin options out there that aren't quite as quick as the springloaded ones, but not quite as awkward as the typical ring system
  • Agree with the others. A pad lock would be way too clunky/awkward and when it corrodes and seizes up, it is going to cause headaches.

Look into some of the alternative pin options or just get more proficient with the clevis pins.

sm
  • You might try circle cotter rings. These types are quickly turned on from the middle outward and taken off toward the middle. And its always handy to have a couple extra pins and rings placed around your cat.
  • Mark- if it holds the mast up, buy the most solid, secure stainless ring dings you can find and try a staple puller or cotter ring tool to ease the pain of using them. Anything less has a high risk factor.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • GilleyNM And its always handy to have a couple extra pins and rings placed around your cat.

Yes! more precisely on the adjuster itself, in a lower hole
  • markuEither U-lock or the straight-shackle ones you use to lock the trailer on the ball? It could substitute directly for a clevis pin (and eliminate a ring-ding) or replace a shackle elsewhere in the applications you wish you could trust a snap shackle for.

This is a planned failure.

There are no locks designed or rated for the stresses your sail and salt water will put on them.
    The working guts on a combo lock can decay to the point that it is unusable in a matter of months when exposed to salt water. You will have to cut the lock off to get the mast down, and will need a torch, grinder or air chisel for that.

There are strong forged shackles with captured pins available.
    Use these in place of the pins and ring dings, even on the side stays.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.