Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

speaking of rudder rake  Bottom

• My Nacra 450 has a lot of weather helm constantly have to keep a lot of pull pressure to keep it where I need
    so that is weather helm? and they can come forward more ..correct?

on my prindle 19 while flying a hull I can literally set the stick down and haul in on the sheet with both hands and regrab the stick without even faltering off course.. its like power steering ..completely effort less. neutral helm?

Edited by carl2 on Sep 26, 2017 - 12:13 PM.
  • Either swing the tip of the rudder more forward, or do the same with the mast. Either method will reduce the load on the rudders.
  • For minor tweaks to the amount of helm, yes, rake the rudder tips forward in the casting and/or rake the mast forward.

Raking the mast forward shifts the center of effort of the rig forward which unloads the rudders. Raking the rudders forward moves the center of effort of the rudder blade more in line with the pivot point (the rudder pin) so the helm "feels" lighter (although the amount of actual load on the rudders is basically unchanged).

If you are experiencing excessive amounts of helm (like your arm gets tired from steering the boat), then I would first check to make sure that your rudders are fully locking down properly in the casting and that the rudder system is functioning properly. Also check the rudder tow (which as a general rule should be about 1/8" towed in). If your jib is not fully sheeted in when sailing (or you're sailing a sloop rigged boat without the jib or with the jib furled) then that can also generate excessive weather helm.

sm
  • What system does the N450 use?
    Is it the same as the older 5.0, 5.7, 5.2 like this?
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80973&g2_serialNumber=8&g2_GALLERYSID=934c198efc8525f18f6058d8cbcbb029
    If so- are the cleats still OK? The original pivmatics used plastic cleats. Once the teeth got worn they would allow the line to slip a bit, resulting in the blades moving aft, & big weather helm.
    Also, no stretch line is a must. It takes surprisingly little to allow them to move back.
    Is there an adjustment screw in the casting? If so, screw it further in, allowing the blade to seat "deeper".
    As said, make sure the blades are going all the way down. With the boat on a trailer or otherwise blocked up, pull the rudders down & see if they bottom out against the casting.
    In the locked down position, try to pull the tip rearwards- it shouldn't move,(unless enough force is applied to activate the kick up mechanism). If they do, figure out why.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129101&g2_serialNumber=4

2002 nacra 450
    rudders are in great shape as well as the lines, probably need to screw in the adjustment screw abit as I run the mast raked back
  • Same system as the bigger Nacra's. I see plastic cams, they are probably OK, as the boat is not that old, but make sure the lines are not slipping- you need a "hard" line vs some of the softer ones. The line may be new, but if it is stretchy, it will allow the blade to move back.
    There should be a white delrin screw in the casting, near the bottom where the rudder would contact the casting. If it is standing proud, (on the inside), screw it further out to allow the rudder to tuck further under.
    It's a bit of a pain, at least on the older ones as the slot faces the transom, you have to remove the casting to gain access. (I turn mine around so the slot faces rearward- the rudder resting on the slot doesn't seem to harm it). If you disconnect the tie bar, the casting may swivel far enough to give access.
    Use a large screwdriver, or make a tab to fit the slot, if you try it with a smaller looser fitting one you will wreck the slot. You may wreck it anyway, they tend to get stuck. You may be able to use a hacksaw & cut a deeper slot, or grab the end with vice grips.
    If all fails,file/grind the protruding end, inside the casting to allow the blade to seat deeper.
    It may not take much, a 1/4" at that adjusting screw will equate to 1", or more at blade tip.

Edited by Edchris177 on Sep 26, 2017 - 05:16 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Mmmmmmm, looking at the 450 rudder I wonder if it would fit the 5.0/5.7? Anyone?

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129101&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.