Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib furling Hobie 16  Bottom

• Just purchased my first sailboat, a mid 80's Hobie 16. I live on a narrow canal and decided to convert my boat lift to accommodate a beach cat. The problem I foresee is safely docking the boat, the best idea I can think of is lowering the main sail and furling the jib for the 100yrd paddle back down the canal from the main channel.

Long story short I'm having trouble researching the furling jib conversion. Is it as simple as purchasing and installing a furling kit? I know there will have to be modifications to the original Cat Fever Jib because of flapping without the battens.

So my questions are: #1. Can I alter an existing jib to work with a roller furling kit? #2. What is the process/differences of installing and rigging the furling system.

Thanks
  • https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7535

This might help
  • Thanks Carl, exactly what I was looking for. The next step is to figure out the dimensions needed to cut the existing batten jib to furling.
  • if the battens are horizontal you may need to remove them or get a jib with vertical battens for furling
  • Or simply buy a used old style Prindle16 jib as they have the luff wire like H-16 but no battens. I have a couple. Pete
  • In mid to high wind paddling may not be an option, wind pushes the mast and turns the bows more than what you may be able to handle. If you are solo, paddling and steering isn't easy either. Been there on a vacation week when leaving the cat on a buoy on the beach: getting there was a challenge sometimes, even if it was just a short distance from the shore. Sailing with the jib worked better than paddling, but it's quite imprecise and requires space.
  • Could also just have vertical batten sleeves sewn onto the existing jib. I'm considering this for my P-18, after adding the furling kit.

If you use a snorkel jib cover, the horizontal battens will really jam it up. Even the large covers.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.