Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 16 main halyard  Bottom

• Has anyone ever constructed their own main halyard for the hobie 16? The rope-wire connection appears to have 2 parts that are swaged on to the wire and then the rope. Are these parts readily available or are thet Hobie specific. Any help with this would be appreciated?
  • sure you CAN make your own
    you can go to west marine and they will help you
    it's not that hard

BUT - it takes skill and practice and the consequences for making a slight error or poor technique could be a matter of life or death

and trusting a 30' alum stick that can kill, maim, or disfigure seems to be a great thing to invest in professional quality builds - save money elsewhere that are less hazardous to you and others near your boat

Edited by MN3 on Sep 25, 2017 - 02:49 PM.
  • Halyards..?
    Im going to get the shrouds & forestay professionally done but I didn't think main halyard would have anything....I guess MN3 though the hobie jib halyard is critical to mast but not so the main halyard.

I keep thinking of my Prindle & nacra jib halyards but they are different than Hobie jib halyard

Edited by carl2 on Sep 25, 2017 - 03:13 PM.
  • carl, you are correct, i was thinking forestays and sidestays

you can make your own for sure - no big deal if they fail - even a hobie16 jib halyard can break and the forestay should still hold the mast up =

sorry about the mis-info
  • Thanks for the reply. I do have professional made shrouds and forestay. What I want to do is to be able to just put a new rope ..wire connection on my main halyard. These connections fail frequently and leaves a perfectly good length of rope. Do you know where I can get the hardware to make this connection? The biggest consequence of the part failing is your buddy beating you back to the beach.lol
  • QuoteDo you know where I can get the hardware to make this connection? The biggest consequence of the part failing is your buddy beating you back to the beach.lol

west marine. or you could look at any sail rigging supplies site online
    or contact saltydogmarine.com or apsltd.com or murrays.com and have one made and sent to you (sans the line)

i use strong line / robline dingy control (jacketed dynema) for my halyards
    they are as strong as steel and lighter and when they finally fail are good for other uses on the boat or other)
    and easier on sheeves

QuoteThe biggest consequence of the part failing is your buddy beating you back to the beach.lol

Hardware failures count as DNF (did not finish (the race)) and should NOT be used against you for "beach bragging"
  • I assume you're talking about the main halyard used on a comptip mast where the wire and the rope sections are spliced together to make one continuous halyard. I highly doubt you will find the tooling needed to make this connection at West Marine.

You're probably much better off just buying the halyard from Hobie. If you're breaking the wire often, then most likely there's either a problem with your halyard system or the way you're hoisting the sail is damaging the halyard because the main halyard should last for many years without breaking.

I would check to see if there are any burrs or sharp edges on the "fork" at the top of the mast which might be damaging the cable.

sm
  • You can also go back to the original main halyard system, half wire and
    half line
    Easy enough to make
    The newer style seems to have a shorter life span
  • You could do that, but it would pretty much entirely eliminate the safety feature of the (non-conductive) comptip mast. Seems like a pretty extreme consequence of merely trying to save a couple bucks.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.