Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P19 Rudders - Two Versions  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I have a rudder from a Prindle 18 and it is noticeably different in shape.

For drilling, I have set up a jig to use one rudder as a model. They both slide snug into the jig with zero difference. Note that the locking bolts are both resting one of the wood blocks which I figure is a critical measurement. (The lines on the top rudder's leading edge were for rake measurements). I can hold a wood block at any point along the edges and the rudders match exactly. Only the hole positions are different. The chips where the rudders meet the lower transom are misleading, but top and leading edges in this area are the same.

http://i63.tinypic.com/261i32b.jpg

What continues to bug me is that the rudder that matches the other P19s in the yard cannot be adjusted within the recommended rake range. The mismatched one can, and that is the one I am using the redrill the only hole that matters: The corner hole that acts as the hinge point. The holes for the locking bolts appear identical, save for the large hole providing access to the locking nut, where one is further aft than the other. Same for the other large holes that are just for knots. I've purchased new locking bolts from Murrays.

Busy this weekend, but I'll probably have her out on the water next weekend for a test.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • MattsonWhat continues to bug me is that the rudder that matches the other P19s in the yard cannot be adjusted within the recommended rake range. The mismatched one can, and that is the one I am using the redrill the only hole that matters: The corner hole that acts as the hinge point. The holes for the locking bolts appear identical, save for the large hole providing access to the locking nut, where one is further aft than the other. Same for the other large holes that are just for knots. I've purchased new locking bolts from Murrays.

Hey Bill,
    The geometry here is messed up. I understand your frustration.

Is it possible that a previous owner modified the:
    1. Hull transoms (thicker or more angled)
    2. Gudgeons drilled out or replaced with other types
    3. Rudder casting pintle pins are different from stock?

Any of these could be the reason he ended up with a bad geometry and drilled out one rudder to try to fix it. When he found the re-drill was worse, he realized he was in over his head and sold the boat.

You have just pursued two of the other questions I had:
    1. The length of the locking bolt being a strange size. The replacements from Murray's should resemble the stock ones.
    2. Other holes being different. To a varying extent, the locking holes matter because they hold the locking bolt a specific distance from the casting. You mentioned that these are bigger, so possibly out of alignment?

My $0.02

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Have not had time to post an update...

I mounted some spare gudgeons on a 2X4 and clamped it to my bench, using a second 2x4 running down to serve as an extended transom line. This allowed me to get the rake correctly in my work shop. On the rudder that was out of adjustment range, I filled the hinge hole with epoxy. Using a jig to hold both rudders in line, I used the good rudder as a drill guide on a drill press. I also filled the good rudder hole with epoxy and redrilled it just to reduce the wear. I replaced the latching bolts with new ones from Murrays, as the old ones had a small bit of wear. Put them each in the bench mockup and got the rake to about 1/4 ahead of the extended transom line.

I got the boat out last weekend solo and it was pretty much perfect on both tacks.

Previous to this, my first sail in decent wind was very unnerving, and left me feeling it was not the boat for me. Now, the boat is very controllable and comfortable. Just a few more minor adjustments and some testing in the rough stuff, and she should be ready for island trips.

Thanks to all here for the input!

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • awesome!

btw - what are latching bolts?
    Do you mean the ones used in the gudgeons ?

Edited by MN3 on Nov 10, 2017 - 04:11 PM.
  • MN3awesome!

btw - what are latching bolts?
    Do you mean the ones used in the gudgeons ?Edited by MN3 on Nov 10, 2017 - 04:11 PM.

"Locking Bolts" would be the correct term. Link below:

https://www.murrays.com/product/56-4017/

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    --
  • i wouldn't have known what that was either ! haha
    thanks for the info - happy helming

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.