Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 Mast Info Needed  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I bought my 1985 P18 new when I was 26 (cost 1/2 years salary at the time ... my family thought I was crazy). A big storm in the Chesapeake/Little Choptank attacked Taylors Island last Friday, flipped my boat and broke the mast (diamond wire snapped also). I was watching from inside .... it was up about 3 feet up in the air, mast hit our cottage's roof (no damage to it).

Does anyone know who made the mast for Prindle?

I want to buy a new one ... figure I can sail for at least another 15 years (maybe 20) before I get too old.

Hope you can help.
  • Prindle factory long gone, located in Holland or France now I believe. Used mast sometimes available and can be shipped for reasonable price, around $400-500, and with insurance. Next time invest in a couple screw in dog anchors & tie rope across boat. PM me for more. Pete
  • Pete- these are the bomb. https://www.amazon.com/Li…RID=1Z95S5QBZZB72WRG1S74

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/658bf4b9-61e9-4ba2-9628-36c40da355dd_1.609ed5c64eecfa9177310ff4903c6538.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Randy - you ARE too old. icon_lol Sorry dood.

Unless I'm mistaken, the 18 and 18-2 share the same mast. That may help.

Edited by nohuhu on Jul 22, 2017 - 10:46 PM.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Thanks, I'll keep looking. Randy
  • Pete, what's a typical total price for a shipped 18 or 18-2 mast?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • $450-$500. $250 for mast, $150 shipping, $50-$100 to get to San Diego or Carson (L.A.). Frankly I won't drive to L.A. Pete
  • Pete - Shipped one to the islands yet?

Randy - I've seen someone put a Hobie mast on their P18. Obviously, it creates issues, but if you get stuck, you could always build a FrankenPrindle... icon_eek

I'll pass along details if I can get them.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • pbegle$450-$500. $250 for mast, $150 shipping, $50-$100 to get to San Diego or Carson (L.A.). Frankly I won't drive to L.A. Pete

No drop off locations in San Bernadino by the airport? Randy, where are you located?

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • No other drop offs. Even the price quoted is questionable because I used S.D. terminal and put mast on my roof top to carry one hour down the mtn, then two hours to S.D. because I could see my kids, check thrift shops for Prindles & catch big box stores. No charge for that. Now I really don't relish doing it esp for 28.5' mast. Shipped boats to Hawaii (roll on/roll off), but not masts. Pete

Edited by pbegle on Jul 23, 2017 - 09:13 PM.
  • Randy, I'd be curious to know what you find out. I'm in a similar situation here in Florida!
  • When it comes to tie downs this is the only style to get.
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/6f/6fb0bbc3-ce86-416b-b904-c6f47d52ae15_1000.jpg
    Over the years we have had hurricane force winds at our sailing club. Most of the boats are stored mast up. We have found the pig tail style are pretty useless. Even the 18" pig tails have worked there way out of the ground in big gust. The style in the link above work much better. I have five of the 18" long ones holding my trailer down. One at the end of each cross bar and then one at the tongue of the trailer. I then have my boat tied down to the trailer at each of the rollers. When I know a hurricane is coming I sink four more of the tie downs and run a line between each of trapeze lines to the tie down. So far this has worked for me.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • This style has proven to work well on our beach too
    they are a PITA to put in, but if you leave your boat on the beach overnight in the summer - you are a risking your boat and anyone else's boat that is there (as it tumbles down the beach)

It only takes about 30 knots to take a 500lb beachcat for a tumble

FloridaRoadieWhen it comes to tie downs this is the only style to get.
    http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/6f/6fb0bbc3-ce86-416b-b904-c6f47d52ae15_1000.jpg
  • Mast broke on my prior Prindle 18 when storm dumped the boat about four years ago. Agree with use of tie downs in future. Could not find mast locally and reluctantly had mast shipped to Maryland by Pete (pbegle) from California. Pete told me had shipped masts many times and assured me he had not had problems with shipping. Sure enough mast arrived straight and with no sail track damage. Would get mast from Pete again in a flash if I needed one again. Did have to pick up mast at air freight at BWI airport but would have driven much further to get mast if Pete had not shipped it to me.

Edited by spoulton on Jul 25, 2017 - 08:59 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Randy by your post it looks like you are in Maryland. I donated my prior Prindle 18 to the Chesapeake Maritime Museum at St. Micheals in June of this year. They probably still have it. It has a starboard hull that takes on water and I wanted to get a better boat. The mast, shrouds, forestay, port hull, blocks, rudders, and lines are in good shape. It has three sets of sails all in fair shape and tramp probably has a few years left in it. If you want it for the mast and parts you could probably get it cheap. I would give them a call, tell them your situation and see what they want for it.

Edited by spoulton on Jul 25, 2017 - 08:44 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • QuoteRandy - you ARE too old. icon_lol Sorry dood.

I am as old as you and as long as your sailing your as young as you feel until you have to haul your but back up on the cat!

Edited by spoulton on Jul 25, 2017 - 08:38 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • Thanks for all the info. I'm in Maryland on the Eastern Shore. I'll check out the museum to see what they say. I also contacted NACRA since they use to be under Performance Cat. with Prindle. Received an email back from Bob saying they might have a P18 mast in stock. Still waiting to here back. Hope he comes through. Purchased some land anchors yesterday. Thanks for the help.
  • So I'm actively searching for a P18 mast. I've checked all the sailing clubs and shops here in northwest Florida with no luck. I'm willing to drive or pay for shipping, just need to find the darn thing!! If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.
  • P18 and P18-2 are the same masts, that might help.

Used to tow my P18-2 to the Atlantic shores in France.
    Always carried 2 tires, golfcar or small trailer style.
    Dug them in the sand, some 2/3 feet with nylon rope
    attached to them. Then tied the boat to them.
    The cat never took of, and it was in some severe storms.

A

Edited by catmodding on Aug 30, 2017 - 05:11 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • lostnmymindSo I'm actively searching for a P18 mast. I've checked all the sailing clubs and shops here in northwest Florida with no luck. I'm willing to drive or pay for shipping, just need to find the darn thing!! If anyone has any info it would be much appreciated.

I just bought a P18 1979 came with 2 masts and rigging. I am in Lakeland Florida if you have not found one yet. Let me know if you need it.

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • Larry, just seeing your post. Sent you a pm about that mast

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.