Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 NA mainsail  Bottom

• Hi
    Purchased a Nacra 5.8 NA last week after selling my 5.2. Unfortunately the mainsail needs to replaced - the jib is a Elliot-Patterson which is in good shape. My question is will an F18 mainsail be OK to use on the 5.8 NA.
  • You will need to check the luff length. The 5.8 is a 19 foot boat and a F18 is an 18 foot boat. I'm sure the mast lengths are different. The F18 sail will also require a boom, the 5.8 is a boom less rig.
  • 5.8na mast is 30'7"
    f18 is 30'

nacra also has more sail area but not by much

you could modify an f18 sail and add a clew plate and boom but you may change the balance, CE and some speed
  • Thank you Hullflyer and MN3 you have answered my question!
  • The NACRA 5.8 NA as did all 5.8s had a boomless main sail.... It may work, but be a little funky...

I had never tried to anything but a sail that was made specificly for a 5.8 on the boat... Now if you can get your hands on a boom and rig that to the boat you may have something.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • The NACRA 5.8 NA as did all 5.8s had a boomless main sail.... It may work, but be a little funky...

I had never tried to anything but a sail that was made specificly for a 5.8 on the boat... Now if you can get your hands on a boom and rig that to the boat you may have something.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Friend did a sq top mail from Slosail for their 5.8 this spring ... Awesome! You should check them out. This is the second one I know of f personally. Great performance.

I have no commercial interest in Slosail.

Dk

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • dssaakFriend did a sq top mail from Slosail for their 5.8 this spring ... Awesome! You should check them out. This is the second one I know of f personally. Great performance.

I have no commercial interest in Slosail.

Dk

Saw one they did for a 5.8 in Santa Barabra... looked awesome and good quality... can't speak to its performance though... For me, there is only one sail maker for the NACRA 5.8 NA... Elliott Patterson. Here is my 5.8 from many moons ago wit a new set EP Sails...

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/946211_10201075485302111_1003268175_n.jpg?oh=166ca3fa9374adbd7094383c0a2f6757&oe=5A7171C6

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Check the luff of your main, F18 is 860cm/28,2inches ie shorter.. To add a boom is an easy task. As MN3 says, balance might be altered and the CoE of sail plan 5.8 jib and F18 main will probably be moved both forward and up. Don´t know by how much though, as the flat top should move CoE to rear?

Maybe a Tornado Classic or Sport main would work? Compared to a F18, luff is 12" longer. According to Texel-ratings 5.8 and Tornado has close to the same luff. But due to the tapered top of the Tornado masts their mains will not be cut the same.

This might be helpful:

http://zeilen.watersporte…atingklassen/catamarans/

E=foot, VLM=luff

According to the figures, the foot of F18 is 218cm, 5.8 225cm and Tornado 229cm.

Edited by revintage on Nov 04, 2017 - 07:48 AM.

--
    Brgds
    Lars

Frankentri 5.8/5.5/Inter20
    Aerow trimaran foiler

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1192604934176635
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.