Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help identifying nacra  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• unless you are a fiberglass wiz, and like taking on large projects and investing lots of time and energy and LOTS's of dollars even if they paid you ... - I would recommend - you should walk away and find a boat that is not only 100% whole, but in sailing condition (i personally require a full rig and a sea trial unless i have 100% faith in the boat)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 20, 2017 - 02:39 PM.
  • Are you in love with the N5.8? if so, buy it for a song and strip everything useful and save it for when you get a 5.8 that's ready to go. Having a nice stash of parts really adds to the enjoyability of our sport. If you just want a 18-19ft cat, you should be able to find one with trailer ready to go for less than what it would take to get that one going.
  • Not particularly set on the 5.8, more so the size and still being able get cruising. Guess I was just being hopeful that I could get it on the water for around a $1000, not including the trailer
  • If it were just replacing some parts, I'd say maybe. The repairs get discouraging in my expierence. Epoxy, glass and tools to apply and finish it aren't cheap. It's not rocket science but there is a learning curve. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to get on the water. What's your location? $1000 is usually Hobie 16 territory but I've seen Prindle 18s go for that. I bought a Hobie 18 for $700 and sailed her hard for 2 years without doing anything to her.
  • I've don't a fair bit of glass work on other boats, so not really intimidated by it. Plus, I have a great relationship with a local shop that would allow me to use their space and just pay the cost of material. Its locating the needed parts to get this boat on the water. I'll be calling key sailing in Pensacola, FL to see if they have anything at a decent price.

I'm located in Panama City, FL
  • lots of cats around there
    it's almost "end of season" for some (actually the beginning of cooler weather and steadier wind) so it's not a bad time to be looking

I would think you could get a decent boat and trailer starting around 1500 and something real decent for 2500-3000
  • Having space and tools is huge so you have an advantage most of us don't. You are in prime beachcat territory. I'm just a few hours east of you and occasionally ply the Pc waters as well as the Cape SAN Blas, St Vincent ect. Maybe I'll see you out there sometime. Guys at Key Sailing are always helpful so that's a good move
  • nacraman57The last 4 digits indicate week?, month? and year of manufacture.

The last THREE digits of the HIN (hull id number) indicate the year of manufacture and model year.

HIN's only started being required in the USA in 1972, from then to 1984 the format was first two digits were the model year and last character was a letter indicating what month it was actually manufactured. The manufacture year code started with A for August (of the previous year), so a boat with last three of 82A would be an 82 model built in August of 1981.

After 1984 the format was like the example in the original post, three number which represent the model and date of manufacture so a 787 boat is a 1987 model also built in 1987. If it had 687 it would still be a 1987 model but built in 1986.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.