Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How many people carry a throwable?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• The other thread about the Man Overboard .. got me thinking ...

Just curious if anyone carries a throw-able device?

either extra life jacket, or ring, or cushion, or Throw bags
  • Always.
    There is a pocket on my tramp for it (that can hold two) and the cushion has a length of paracord attached to it in case I'm a lousy shot.
    Both ends of the paracord are already secured, so it is ready to throw.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldAlways.

Awesome!

What kind? (you mention cushion , do you mean the 2' x 2' kind?)

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2017 - 12:17 PM.
  • Generic 2'x2' cushion with 40' paracord coiled and ready, although frequently used as head pillow and/or ass float for water lounging. Also it's a great attention getter when waved above head. Many uses makes for good equipment to carry say I.

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • We just started carrying a bumper as a head pillow on the Waves. It could double as a throwable in a pinch. Wicked comfy when lightly inflated.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Did you know it's required by US Federal Law to have one on a vessel over 16'?

It's been heavily discussed on other forums, years and years ago.
    i think - technically, in a race ... you're required to meet all local and federal laws ...

also, most cat sailors don't carry (or know about this law) a Coast Guard-approved throwable device (Type IV).

I recently purchase a white one ($8 at walmart) - because my grey boat is 400000000 degrees hotter than i wish if the sun is out ...

i have carried them on and off again for the past decade...

Federal law requires that you must have a Coast Guard-approved wearable, life jacket (Type I, II, or III) for each person onboard your vessel. In addition, boats greater than 16 feet in length must carry a Coast Guard-approved throwable device (Type IV). A throwable device is not required on canoes or kayaks regardless of length.

http://www.uscgboating.org/content/frequently-asked-questions.php

Edited by MN3 on Aug 25, 2017 - 02:25 PM.
  • I don't carry one. Who am I gonna throw it to...or who's gonna throw it to me. Seriously though, it probably is a good idea and is legally required. Even for single handing if someone else capsizes while singlehanding it might just come in handy if their boat decides to sail away. We've all seen boats sail by themselves plenty. I know a guy whose H16 caught a gust at our little 80 acre park lake. It sailed itself through 2 beautiful tacks and jibes before he got kayaked out to catch it.

He will probably see this and I will leave it to him to publicly confess! icon_biggrin

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • One extra PFD

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • If you can tread water, I'll throw you a beer!

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I have a large cross-tramp bag... mesh all the way across with a piece of Harbor Freight floor pad across the bottom to give it enough stiffness to pull off the boat easily. In that bag, there's a couple of 14"x14" square throwables (were they ever actually 2'?), a couple mesh bags of line, and a sea anchor.

I haven't had to throw a cushion yet, but when the wind peters out, they come out for comfort. We're required to have a throwable PFD in addition to the ones we're wearing, but I've never been asked.

Randii
  • I carry one out of habit as I always carried one when growing up (coastal sailing). Same for the paddle. When I was a teenager, I had a tramp bag with the throwable on bottom and a soft cooler on top, where we stored our safety gear (wine coolers and beer).

I now have a large tramp bag and carry the throwable in there. But have asked myself how relevant it is.

The only situation where it might have value is when you flip and have to wait it out. This happened during a regatta that got hit by a squall a few years ago.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • MN3What kind? (you mention cushion , do you mean the 2' x 2' kind?)

Yes. The standard one with sewn-in handles.
    The Prindle 18-2 and 19 came with pockets sewn in the tramp big enough for throwables, and intended to cover the SS cable that crosses the tramp for the 4-way jib block traveler. Its easier on the knees if you put in a cushion, so it's a two-birds situation.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Put me in the "YES" column. https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128776&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=250586d62a8e8d5c0a7b384ee1e7c4a9

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128816&g2_serialNumber=3
    This is the throwable bag I got this year. It is small, has 75 feet of rope and can throw it about 50 feet. The bag has a float in it so it is easy to see in the water. Rope is bright yellow and floats. Keep it in the trap bag and will let it out behind boat if capsize and can assist to retrieve crew or skipper if there is a man overboard. Available through NRS (kayaking) website. Price is $59.95 but they frequently go on sale.

Edited by spoulton on Aug 25, 2017 - 08:26 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • randiiI have a large cross-tramp bag... mesh all the way across with a piece of Harbor Freight floor pad across the bottom to give it enough stiffness to pull off the boat easily. In that bag, there's a couple of 14"x14" square throwables (were they ever actually 2'?), a couple mesh bags of line, and a sea anchor.
    Randii
    Have a pic or link to this bag Randii?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • I do not, will try to remember to get one. I picked it up off some Ebay sailmaker's odds-and-ends sail, essentially looks like a king-sized pillow case with a zip across the middle, lengthwise. It spans the full width of the tramp with an inch or two extra on each side, and I put two sets of grommets in the middle and one set of grommets by the hulls. I spliced up some simple softshackles that go through those grommets and over the crossbar, then back to themselves. It is simple and effective, and helps keep gear in one place...including the topic item of this thread.

Randii
  • I don't carry a throwable when on smaller inland lakes and/or racing as everyone (including me) is wearing a PFD and land or a crash boat is always easily in site. Offshore open water, that's a different story. Then I closely comply with all the regs. and beyond with throwable, flares, whistle, signal mirror, GPS, VHF etc..

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • leeboweffectI don't carry a throwable when on smaller inland lakes and/or racing as everyone (including me) is wearing a PFD and land or a crash boat is always easily in site. Offshore open water, that's a different story. Then I closely comply with all the regs. and beyond with throwable, flares, whistle, signal mirror, GPS, VHF etc..

sounds smart!
  • tominpaIf you can tread water, I'll throw you a beer!

IF I'm treading water, please make it a light beer.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    tominpaIf you can tread water, I'll throw you a beer!

IF I'm treading water, please make it a light beer.

prost prost prost prost

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.