Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.8 jib fit a Prindle 18-2?  Bottom

• Hi guys, purchased a Prindle 18-2 last year and ended up rebuilding the thing.
    Looks good, but never had a Jib on it, so looking for one.
    Came on one from a Nacra 5.8 and he gave me all the lengths on it, but can't find any references to the Prindle 18-2 to compare them to.
    I know the mast on the 18-2 is the same as the Prindle 18, so do they also share the same Jib as well?

Thanks for any help!
  • It's 10% larger on the 18-2. Can't comment on the cut, but you can look that up at the sailmakers.

Not that big a difference, right? I sail both boats and I greatly prefer the 18-2 jib.

https://www.thebeachcats.…183&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Thanks! lot's of good information in that link.
    So, a Prindle 18-2 is a different size jib than a Prindle 18, got it!

Now, is there any sail makers sites that I could look up the actual sizes of different sails for a particular cat?
    Like which other cat's jib could be effectively used on the 18-2 if I can't locate a used one?

I've asked for quotes for one, but haven't received them yet.
  • Side note....on the chart the square footage for the 18 main looked odd. Didn't seem to follow the trend in converting from sq-m. It should be about 170.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14
    --
  • That's close.

So- side note: can I run the 18-2 square-top up my 18's mast? Implications? Anyone done it?

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • The nacra 5.8 is a 19 foot boat, the mast is taller the jib will not work on a 18/2 if the nacra 5,8 is a NA 5.8 the jib is huge. Neither will work on an 18/2
  • Thanks Hullflyer!
  • nohuhuThat's close.

So- side note: can I run the 18-2 square-top up my 18's mast? Implications? Anyone done it?

Anyone want to talk me out of it before Sunday? icon_lol

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Both the 18 and 18/2 came with pin head sails. I see no reason you can not use the square top as both 18 amd 18/2 use the same mast
  • Here's a quick look:
    https://www.thebeachcats.…39f8b65a284c57678254274c

There is lots of data in this album about the 18-2.

Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.