Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hull port in a hobie 16 for storage  Bottom

• like the title says I need storage, I'm thinking 2 ports with bags inside one for a little ice, can soda and sandwiches the other car keys phone spare bits and pieces. the real question is size, which ones to use and where to put them. anyone have good ideas, I know not to put them in front of the tramp posts plus I already have really bad delamination and I don't want to make it any weaker

--
    Tim geyer
    1980 hobie 16 "last chance"
    Fairview heights IL
    --
  • My take on this is, if it didn't come from the factory with ports then it's not designed to have them, therefore, I wouldn't add holes to my hulls. I would consider using waterproof bags and a soft cooler for storage and food items, but that's just me.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I agree with Marty

you MIGHT be asking for trouble by cutting into your decks
    I know many hobies (and cats) have them, but your talking about a 37 year old boat with moisture already in the foam (delam)

It can be done, but needs to be done right and probably need to address any decontamination first

I would carry a dry bag and cooler above deck - even if it takes up valuable room - you can hang the bag off the goose neck and it's pretty out of the way of everything/everyone
  • when in doubt ask someone that knows more than you. Ive already fixed 90% of my delam all ive got left is one soft spot on the starboard rear hull deck in front of the rudder. I'm going to replace my hulls this winter, I wanted to sail on them as long as I could but today while I was flying a hull I heard a loud pop but nothing happened and while loading up I found the soft spot.

--
    Tim geyer
    1980 hobie 16 "last chance"
    Fairview heights IL
    --
  • Here's an account of a friend and I installing ports on H16s 20 years ago. He put his forward of the forward pylons, and I put mine under the siderails between the pylons. Neither of us had issues with those boats years later. I sold mine about 10 years ago, but checked up on it recently and it's still on the water.

https://www.thebeachcats.…archives/v1-i1/ports.htm

For what it is worth. Your mileage may vary

Edited by mattson on Aug 26, 2017 - 11:59 AM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Bought a H16 with them forward of the pylons, never had a problem and this boat was ABUSED by me, beach wave surfing, swells taller than the mast as well as ignoring many small craft advisorys.

I bought some from Murray's but just could not find the heart to put holes in my nicer boat and still have them 25 years later.. hahaha

Would I put them on a new boat? Yep Old boat nope!

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • I'm just not a fan of ports, unless they are part of the design of the boat. They may work just fine, just not for me. If you feel that it would be okay to install them, then go for it.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I wouldn't add ports unless absolutely necessary, either. If you decide to go ahead, I'd recommend under the siderails. While the back would offer future access to the inside of the transom (which could be handy), I'm pretty sure only a 4" port would fit which sort of defeats the storage purpose.

I had to do it once as part of a loose pylon shoe repair, and it's really not too bad of a job. As usual, Mr. Mattson's how-to article is spot on. A contoured port is required for the curved H16 deck, and pay close attention to the safeguards against distorting the ring. Don't even tighten the plastic bolts/nuts very much. If you follow the rest of the instructions there's no need...it ain't going anywhere.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.