Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 crossbar support casting  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• DogboyGood to hear you got it fixed.

Yes, definitely remove the tramp before assembling. If you can put the hulls on the trailer and strap them down so they are roughly held at the correct spacing, it helps a lot too. Also having a long hex bit socket and a long extension that you can drive with a ratchet wrench makes these bolts much easier to install. Trying to install the bolts a 1/2 turn at a time with a standard allen wrench is agonizing.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/10000595/prod_2179747112?hei=624&wid=624&op_sharpen=1

sm

YES!! This would be worth purchasing for just one install!

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Dogboy
    mattsonI researched removing seized stainless bolts from aluminum and no method worked in my case.

FYI, it is a stainless bolt in a stainless insert, not aluminum. The inboard casting is aluminum, but there is a stainless steel threaded insert that is pressed into the casting. Again, the bolts need to be lubricated with anti-seize grease to prevent galling and seizing which can occur with stainless on stainless threads.

mattsonThis is the REAR crossbar part for my repair. I didn't see a front casting on the site at first glance, but they probably carry it.

Maybe they do, maybe they don't. These parts went out of production many years ago. Once the existing stock is depleted, it's all gone. If you end up damaging the casting/insert while removing the bolt, it could most likely be repaired by installing a helicoil to fix the threads.

sm

Thanks for the correction. A stainless bolt into aluminum would not make much sense for this application.

I can say that once they seize, it's pretty amazing how badly they do. I researched various extraction methods and nothing worked.

One of the 18s I purchased years ago had separate cracked rear crossbar included in the box of parts. I hung on to it for a couple years but finally threw it away. I would have pulled those castings out if had known they would be getting rare.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • QuoteSo i removed the INBOARD hex bolt from the other hull. I found that the bolt from the parts box I was trying to thread up into the casting was an inch and a half too short. HA!

QuoteIf you order a new bolt make sure you call and have them measure to make sure there is 2" of thread. Pull out a good bolt and measure the bolt length and have them verify that too. I went back and fourth with hobie last year about this. They changed their supply of crossbar bolts and they don't have enough thread on them so they can't screw in all the way and stop about an 1/8-1/4" short.
    Murrays had one front bolt left that had enough thread. Every other online place I could find had only 1.5" of thread. Ironically on the underside of almost every H18 crossbar is a sticker saying you must have a bolt with 2" of thread lol.

The underside of my '84 H18
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120356&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • There's nothing particularly special about the rear crossbar bolts. I just order some replacements for my boat from McMaster Carr. 316 Stainless Steel Socket Head Screw, 3/8"-16 Thread Size, 2-1/2" Long, Fully Threaded. It was $10 for a box of 5.

sm

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.