Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sculling a cat  Bottom

• I used to scull little boats when I was younger. Thinking it would be a great back up plan if I can get a central pivot and a long shaft paddle. Any one have success with this type of propulsion? It could be done offset using rudder pivots. Perhaps the cross bar attached to a paddle would make the oar. Good connections would be a must. Perhaps Hobie Wave style clip washers would hold the paddle to the cross bar.

If the sun comes out I will stop pondering stuff like this and go sailing instead!

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • A year or more ago, there was a thread that talked about rowing a cat.
    I think it was centered around a cat sailor in the pacific NW who was doing long distance and wanted a backup power source for doldrums.
    On the run, or would do a bit more work and a search

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • This sounds like A LOT of work.
    I prefer to keep sunscreen and beer on board for the doldrums.
    My $0.02.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • The research I've seen indicates that sculling a cat works, but it may not generate enough power to overcome a current. There's a device that makes it easy to adapt a sculling oar to many boats:

[url=http://www.duckworksbbs.com/gear/scullmatix/index.htm]
  • where it is probably possible - it is not an attractive idea to me (actually it its more than unattractive but i will show some restraint)

sailboats are for sailing
    row boats are for rowing - never the 2 shall meet

I carry a paddle for the doldrums - and for getting off a lea side of an island with no wind

I have paddled my cat 3 miles before -it sucked (just like the storm that sucked up all the air) but it is do-able
    (one person on a 500lb mystere 5.5)

the hardest part is controlling the rudders while sitting on the front beam (best place to paddle)-
    a little bungee or similar on the tiller extension is best for securing it but better stay in tune to the weather - if you get a rouge gust - could get wild

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.