Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Help identifying what make and model  Bottom

• A friend of a friend sent me some photos and asked me what I thought of the boat. I have no idea who made the boat. I created a sub-folder in the Photo Albums Beachcat Identification !!! Unknown Beachcats (Help Identify These) https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=127504
    Let me know what it is if you can.
    Thanks,
    Greg

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • When I first saw it, I was thinking Tornado, but I have no idea. Big Cat!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • The rudder casting are nacra
    The beams also appear to be nacra, not only in shape but the way they attach as well
    Very well good be a combination of different boats
  • FloridaRoadieA friend of a friend sent me some photos and asked me what I thought of the boat. I have no idea who made the boat. I created a sub-folder in the Photo Albums Beachcat Identification !!!

Greg, great use of the Identification album!

First, "and asked me what I thought of the boat", was he asking if he should buy it or does he own it?

While we are waiting for the actual brand/model I've determined from the pictures that it is an early to mid-eighties "Piece of Crap" judging from the many-many delam injection holes and SEVEN! deck ports.
    target1

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    I've determined from the pictures that it is an early to mid-eighties "Piece of Crap" judging from the many-many delam injection holes and SEVEN! deck ports.

Come on Damon that's being pretty harsh, it's been fixed, no soft spots, and those are storage ports, it's a very rare boat, probably worth a fortune, and that sunfish rig tied to the boom is added sail area.

All joking aside, it looks like the Alfa Cat in the Identification album, later became Nacra. Not the red one, the white one.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ac8d4a27b03098c70c3161e6

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • It is a NACRA Alpha. (http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=6835)
    I owned 575 for several years.
    The front half or so of the molds burned, at the factory.
    The fronts were rebuilt to create the (I think) NACRA 5.2
    It trailered at an angle to make DOT width restrictions.
    I think there were 3 ports per hull, but I bought mine used so......
  • RudiMM
    I think there were 3 ports per hull, but I bought mine used so......

Congratulations on your first post. . . .
    Only took you twelve years . . . .
    icon_smile

--
    Philip
    --
  • Wow, so I would say the Alpha was the predecessor to the Nacra of later years and even today. So it's like the "grandfather" so to speak, of the modern Nacra. After researching Nacra, I understand that the name Nacra was not a brand, but was an acronym for North American Catamaran Racing Association, which had several "brands" under its wing, even Prindle by Surfglass. Very interesting stuff. So that boat, even in its present condition would be a worthwhile fix, and is a part of cat history. I say cool boat, and do what you can to restore it.
    Looking at the sheer size of that beast, I guess it was aptly named "Alpha Cat", being that it was probably the biggest cat out on the water at the time of its release into the wild!!!

Edited by martyr on Apr 30, 2017 - 10:34 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • QuoteI guess it was aptly named "Alpha Cat", being that it was probably the biggest cat out on the water at the time of its release into the wild!!!

It was the Apex predator of it's day
  • I don't think it is an Alpha Cat, but perhaps a predecessor to it. Had three in my lifetime & none had the gunwale flange like Hobie & Prindle, but the round gunwale like Nacra. Also all had the front compression bar which this one doesn't have. Knowing the exact hull length would help. Pete
  • Thanks for those who were able to identify it as an Alpha Cat.

When I first saw the photos, I told my friend to tell his friend it was a hole in the water in to which they would pour lots of money. But I was interested in knowing what it was. I am trying to find out from my friend where it is located. If it is close enough by I will go and see about taking some measurements. Hope it still has an Alpha Cat sail. Who ever has it called it a Hobie 16. To many any catamaran is a Hobie.

It seems Alpha Cat made more than just the 18
    https://www.thebeachcats.…ums/viewtopic/topic/1985
    Since this has only one knee knocker bar I am guessing it is either the 16 or 15. If I get to see it hopefully it will have a hul number.
    Unfortunately not historical museum where something like this could go and get restored, and preserve history about the people who pioneered the way.

Thanks again for who replied.
    Greg
  • QuoteUnfortunately not historical museum where something like this could go and get restored, and preserve history about the people who pioneered the way

They do have a place for these old boats:
    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xPIKtWTv7Fs/hqdefault.jpg
  • Quote Had three in my lifetime & none had the gunwale flange like Hobie & Prindle, but the round gunwale like Nacra.

That's interesting Pete. The Album shows the red one built exactly as you say. The other one, has the flanges, no front bar, but the decals definitely say "Alpha Cat",

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Furthermore the bows are different. The mystery boat has more of Tornado bow. Alpha Cat has kind of a snub nose bow. Carefully look at red one compared to mystery bow. Pete
  • Hey all. Brand new here as I'm desperate for help. I took a charter last May in Hawaii and loved the ship so much I was interested in looking for lessons locally on that exact vessel and to possibly purchase my own a few years down the road. Unfortunately I don't know make and model and have emailed the company I used for the charter and they won't respond and I've emailed a local dealer and heard nothing back. Can anyone tell me what make and model this is or point me somewhere that can? Thanks
    https://koolinaoceanadventures.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/front3-2.jpg
  • According to the company's website it is a 53 foot gold coast catamaran.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Lol wow, don't know how I missed that on their site. Now I feel like an ass. Thanks for helping Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.