Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer Maintenance  Bottom

• In preparation for the new season I disassembled and inspected my trailer bearings. Unfortunately, after only one season (new and fully packed with premium marine grease last year) here is what I found (bad dog!!!). I found entire replacement hubs with bearings and seals on etrailer for $ 17.49:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hubs-and-Drums/etrailer/AKIHUB-440-2-1K.html

The hubs were delivered in three days and installed without argument = VERY CHEAP insurance!

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127472&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • good call !
    i just updated my entire axel and hubs this year too on my main trailer

sure beats losing a wheel while on the road
  • MN3sure beats losing a wheel while on the road

Nothing will buzz kill a weekend of sailing faster than a broken down trailer!!!

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Have you considered Bearing Buddies?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldHave you considered Bearing Buddies?

Have run Bearing Buddies for years and they work quite well. I now use the knock off version from Harbor Freight as they are about a third the price and I can't tell the difference:

http://www.harborfreight.com/198-inch-wheel-bearing-protectors-1-pair-97166.html

The premature failure I experienced was a result of the seal leaking not lack of grease.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Last fall I inspected my bearings and found them in the same trashed condition as yours - after installing not-cheap Timken bearings just two seasons ago.

I found a Westernprime complete kit with bearings & seals for $20 on Amazon. They're chinese (IIRC) but I decided for that amount I would just replace them once a season. Also using marine grease and the Reese "bearing buddies" which are very nice for $10 shipped on Amazon.
  • Just another question
    If you are running at 60 plus MPH
    How fast do you think a 8 or 12 inch tire is traveling in comparison
    I have seen sailors travel hundreds of miles and back down a boat ramp into the water to unload the boat without letting the bearing cool down.
    Would that cause harm to the bearing
  • Just another question
    If you are running at 60 plus MPH
    How fast do you think a 8 or 12 inch tire is traveling in comparison
    I have seen sailors travel hundreds of miles and back down a boat ramp into the water to unload the boat without letting the bearing cool down.
    Would that cause harm to the bearing
  • QuoteHow fast do you think a 8 or 12 inch tire is traveling in comparison

It is appx 83%, that is if an 8" rim travels 100 revolutions, a 12" rim will travel only 83. This is based on a tire having a 4" sidewall.
    These numbers vary somewhat, depending on the actual tire mounted on the rim. If 2 different tires are mounted on identical sized rims, the tire with a higher sidewall will result in a larger total diameter wheel, & a slower rate of rotation.
    QuoteWould that cause harm to the bearing

I have heard that immersing a warm bearing into relatively cool water results in the airspace in the hub cooling, which creates a slight bit of vacumn, which might then draw water into the hub. I'm not sure waiting gives much benefit. Good clean bearings don't really get hot, I have often stopped & felt the dust covers, they barely feel "warm", let alone "hot". If the air temp is in the 90's, & water only 80, you would still have a differential, even if you let them cool for an hour.
    I think good seals, & servicing them every year is more effective.

Edited by Edchris177 on May 04, 2017 - 06:02 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I love this place...

I always find more crap i gotta do, like tear down the bearings for a check and re-lube.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Just my 2 cents
    Both my motorboat and my cat trailer have bearing buddies. Cat has 8" rims and motorboat 12".
    I check them and repack them every season.
    I do not slow down much from normal driving when I tow. I drive 65 mph or more. I am good about checking them for heat, but haven't run into an issue in years. When I did run into an issue, it was because I hadn't maintained them, nor did I use bearing buddies. Thus, why I do maintain them every year, now.
    I don't let them cool down when I launch and I am 95% in salt water.
    I say, check them every season, put the bearing buddies on and every now and then check them for heat when traveling and you will be fine.
    Just saying!

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.