Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tips and Tricks for Installing Hydroturf on Catamaran  Bottom

• I order a couple sheets of Hydroturf from Bacho. It is the light gray with cut diamond pattern with 3M adhesive. I'd like to hear any lessons learned, tips, preparation, templates and anything else the collective wisdom here may share, to make the install easy and look good.

This will be going on a NACRA 5.7 that was refinished last year with Interlux Perfection last year. The textured hull deck will be covered between the crossbars, and will carry the material over the radius for traction.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I installed some similar except with rubber cement, leery of the 3M adhesive, but saw an install with it and looked good. I preformed/overstressed mine overnight so it would shape to the edge of a Hobie 20, worked well.
  • So I used hydro turf to wrap deck around cockpit on a Sunfish.
    A large piece with a very curvilinear shape. Made a poster board pattern to be able to get exact fit.
    When applying the sheet (I used the backed/pre-glued material), I was worried about exact placement, as once this goes down, you can't move it.
    So I placed (& clamped) in location and peeled the backer off from underneath in one corner and peeled it slowly while in exact location. Hard to describe, but you are basically peeling it from underneath. This allows you to keep it clamped for location and then unclamp as you get the backer peeled close to the clamps.
    I then rolled it with small roll pin to make sure it was pressed in place completely.
    I thought about making it oversize and then cutting in place, but couldn't find a way around the cut marks into the fiberglass and of course, the overlapped areas would be a bear to peel off if glued.
    Hope this helps

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Thanks for replies so far. I have been told the adhesive is aggressive enough to hold onto the textured deck. I was hoping someone had direct experience. Also, I might run it under the straps that hold down the crossbars. The material seems thin enough to fit under the strap, or I can cut it very closely. Making a template appears to be the first priority.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • It will stick to the non skid/textured deck. I took the time to sand mine and it was a waste of time. Better to do a very good job cleaning the deck.
  • samc99usIt will stick to the non skid/textured deck. I took the time to sand mine and it was a waste of time. Better to do a very good job cleaning the deck.

Thanks for that! I can wipe it down with alcohol or acetone a lot easier than sanding.

--
    Tom
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Do some planning when you stick it down, . The material will stretch some to help around complex curves.

When your down, its good to roll everything with a wood dowel or roller to ensure every bit of it got good contact pressure.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.