Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

reboarding cat after falling overboard  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• I have a ARC 21 that has large hull volumes and is difficult to board. I found that putting a bowline in the righting line at the level just below the waterline has been of great help. The righting line is anchored around the mast ball and has a couple figure eight knots just above the level of the deck of the hull. I put my foot in the bowline grab one the line above the knot and pull myself up and then rotate my other leg onto the tramp. This has worked well for me.

Edited by spoulton on Aug 25, 2017 - 09:00 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • QuoteAlways run a righting line on a bungee to the corners of the main beams. A more traditional righting line does nothing for you but make it harder to right the boat.

Sam do you have a picture of how you run your righting line or could you post a drawling of this as I do not have mine rigged that way and you thoughts have always been right on.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --
  • spoultonI have a ARC 21 that has large hull volumes and is difficult to board. I found that putting a bowline in the righting line at the level just below the waterline has been of great help. The righting line is anchored around the mast ball and has a couple figure eight knots just above the level of the deck of the hull. I put my foot in the bowline grab one the line above the knot and pull myself up and then rotate my other leg onto the tramp. This has worked well for me.Edited by spoulton on Aug 25, 2017 - 09:00 PM.
    Oh Yeah! The Cowboy way of getting right back on that horse!

Scott, I'm gonna pm you an account of our local ARC22 pilot, who had a complete turtle in a channel midway through our recent 20 mile race. I think you can appreciate his situation at the time. It was not pretty.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • https://www.youtube.com/w…Mq6hfz8&feature=youtu.be

In this vid there's a lot of slack in the setup, by tightening the bungee-cord
    the system can be as sleek as you wat it .

As said before, I'm aging. Close to 60 now. Less and less "cowboy tricks"
    for me. This system works for me and lot more club members, here.

A

Edited by catmodding on Aug 28, 2017 - 03:42 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • When I had to re board my SC15 after the first capsize a sailing partner advised boarding over the stern. First I had to unpin one end of the tiller crossbar and toss it onto the tramp. It's much lower aft. Worked well. On the second re board on a SC19 I got on right at the stern crossbar from outboard.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • The Supercats can be tough due to their hull size.
    I always board mine at the rear, side of the hull, not the stern as its near impossible to get past the tiller crossbar, and mine aren't pinned, they are bolted.
    Have a buddy that has a 1/2" line tied off to the center tramp lines, that he throws overboard and has figure 8 knots in the line for grip. Gives him just enough extra pull to get a leg up on board, and be able to haul himself the rest of the way. The line is left loose enough when stored, that he can reach it and pull it overboard while in the water

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Quotenear impossible to get past the tiller crossbar, and mine aren't pinne

I would not subscribe to entry over the rear beam under most circumstances

harness, hook, line, shoe, nosehair, etc can get caught on a rudder, casting, crossbar, travler, etc and these are all critical areas of steering and helm. can't afford to break, bend, sheer,screw up, or other.

also - unpinning a cross bar to gain access sounds risky too.
    loose that ring ding (not have spares) and your day has ended/be modifed
    drop or kick off that crossbar that is connected to 1 upper casting only - asking for a bend, crack, break or other ...
  • I am 62. Hobie 18. Sailing solo in 15 to 20 gusting to ?? last Sat. I capsized in the Neuse River NC. Enough force to almost turtle me w mast stuck in mud 18 ft down. I am stuck, 3 ft waves, cant swing the bow, bad. I release the shroud extention to no avail. As I across from Cherry pt MCAS the U. S. Navy comes to my rescue in 1 30 ftr and 4 over 40 ft swift boats. Pretty cool. They help me right the rig. As to this email string, I am trying to board the 18 and we are sailing along. I lose my grip and the 18 sails off as pretty as you please. Yes the sails/sheets were prepped for righting. The Navy picks me up and we chase the 18 down in the 40 ftr and drop me of on the wings at 10knots. To do this repeatedly I can see myself getting tired. The wings impede my boarding because of seas and PFD. I wished for a loop or other hand hold. I hate to admit but this scene happened twice. I sailed for 2 hours and fought w the sailboat for 4. When I was 40 and under this would be no prob. Now I am rethinking when I will go solo again.
  • I can share a few of the learnings we had from our I20 while prepping in San Fran and then doing R2AK.

(A) Capsize recovery:
    Early on it took us multiple times to learn how to not have the boat race away the moment we got it back upright (mostly in 18-25kt wind in San Francisco). The boat would land upright, bear away a bit and shoot off (regardless of how close to the wind we righted it), with us hanging on under the tramp trying desperately to hold on and losing strength fast (note: both crew 30-35 year old and fit).

What we learnt (including thanks to tips from posts above):
    - Furling jib is your #1 friend: if you have a furler, furl the jib so the boat will pivot into the wind under main only. If no furler, steps below should be sufficient (but consider getting a furler)

- While capsized, ease the jib sheet all the way out, as well as mainsheet but not main traveller: this avoids over-easing the main, helping prevent/slow the boat from bearing away

- If you have an anchor or righting bag, consider using it as a sea anchor to slow the boat down further (we never tried this but could see the value in hairy conditions to put all the odds in your favor)

- Install one grab line fore-aft under the tramp (from front beam or dolphin striker, to rear beam), and then another grab line port-starboard under the rear beam. The grab lines should be fairly tight so they don't drag in the water while sailing. That way the moment the boat rights itself (with you hanging onto the dolphin striker to stop it from re-capsizing the other way), you can quickly shimmy down the lines to the rear beam while keeping hold to the boat

- Once at the rear beam push the tiller bar so the boat rounds up into the wind and stops

- Take a breather for a few secs. With the boat stopped, you now have time.

(B) Re-boarding:
    - I think there's merit in most of the approaches above (climbing line system in front of the mast, using a knot in the righting line, using the trapeze handle from the side...). These depend a lot on personal preference/fitness, height of the forward beam/hulls, whether you have wings, etc...

- My view is boarding from the outside rear of the windward hull is the best all-around approach if the above don't work for you. Fairly fast to execute, low freeboard to deal with, can grab wings/footstraps to help pull yourself, and can be done while keeping the boat pointing into the wind (especially if you're singlehanded), etc. How I've done it: once you're at the rear beam and have the tiller crossbar pushed all the way so the boat is staying head-to-wind, shimmy around the rear of the windward hull to the outside end of the hull (without letting go of the boat - helps if you have some grab lines and keep hold of the tiller bar/tiller as you move). Once you're outside, with the tiller hard over, there's normally space on the rear of the windward hull for you to clamber up without getting caught in the tiller.

I'll caveat that I'm no expert yet at re-boarding easily (I mostly just brute-force pull myself up)

--
    SL
    Nacra Inter 20 (sold)
    2017 Race to Alaska "Team Ketch me if u can"
    - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamKetch/
    - Race video highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWp4DP0VcA
    Sausalito CA
    --
  • I solo an Inter 20 in light winds. The boat takes off right away in no wind. I quickly go around to the trapeze lines and pull myself up. For next season, I will set up a line off the front beam to facilitate instantly getting back on. I've seen others at my club with this set up. It allows you to quickly board before the boat has a chance to even get going.
  • I have thought of using a rock climbing etrier as a ladder the help facilitate re-boarding the boat. I own a set, but have not used it for sailing-yet.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aakn_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-bdel/default/dw58679375/products/big_wall/390030_etrier_5step_web.jpg
  • this same image was shown on page 1 of this thread. I relied with "i have yet to see any rope style ladder that works hanging over the hull (or beam). I think it has to be rigid or lean against something to work (or be a fixed line attached at multiple points) but would be happy to be wrong"

try it in your back yard off a tree, or on your boat - i think you will find when you try to step up,your foot pushes the ladder under the boat and will not be of much use - but i would LOVE to be wrong

let us know..

tradisradI have thought of using a rock climbing etrier as a ladder the help facilitate re-boarding the boat. I own a set, but have not used it for sailing-yet.

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/aakn_prd/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-bdel/default/dw58679375/products/big_wall/390030_etrier_5step_web.jpg
  • Thank you for sharing this info!
    I followed the few R2AK races and am extremely impressed with anyone who attempts this - even more if you finish - well done!

I agree with just about everything you say (mark this day everyone, it is rare).

Question about the "grab lines under the boat" - do you think the skipper trap wire bungees that are on turning blocks, criss-crossed under the main tramp would suffice as an aid - or are they too lose and "spongy"?

also curios how much beach cat experience you and your teammate had before the I20?

southstars2012I can share a few of the learnings we had from our I20 while prepping in San Fran and then doing R2AK.
    I'll caveat that I'm no expert yet at re-boarding easily (I mostly just brute-force pull myself up)
  • MN3this same image was shown on page 1 of this thread. I relied with "i have yet to see any rope style ladder that works hanging over the hull (or beam). I think it has to be rigid or lean against something to work (or be a fixed line attached at multiple points) but would be happy to be wrong"

try it in your back yard off a tree, or on your boat - i think you will find when you try to step up,your foot pushes the ladder under the boat and will not be of much use - but i would LOVE to be wrong

let us know..

tradisradI have thought of using a rock climbing etrier as a ladder the help facilitate re-boarding the boat. I own a set, but have not used it for sailing-yet.

Silly me, sorry for posting the same info someone else did.
    If I get a chance to try it I will report back.
  • QuoteSilly me, sorry for posting the same info someone else did.
    If I get a chance to try it I will report back.

hahah - no big deal - i assumed you hadn't seen that - that's why i reposed my response
  • If anyone wants to see this "grab the trap handle and get a foot up" method...
    i have a funny video of me and a buddy capsizing with a spinnaker out on his gcat 5.7 a few years ago

it is on facebook so you may have to friend request me to see - it's pretty funny
    https://www.facebook.com/…ideos/10150268756068602/
  • MN3Question about the "grab lines under the boat" - do you think the skipper trap wire bungees that are on turning blocks, criss-crossed under the main tramp would suffice as an aid - or are they too lose and "spongy"?

also curios how much beach cat experience you and your teammate had before the I20?

The bungees are spongy as you said, so they don't provide enough resistance/hold for you to actively pull yourself quickly to the rear-beam (not to mention that they are not oriented fore-aft, and in some really hard capsizes they might even have broken). So the fore-aft line from front beam to rear beam is really 10x better (and easy to add).

As for beach cat experience pre R2AK and I20 -- not all that much, interestingly enough. Next to zero experience for my race partner (he had never really even trapezed); as for me, I had some decent rapid-learning experience on Hobie 16s -- two weeks camp in Ireland as a teen, where the wind is decently big, a brief 6mo crewing in round the buoys racing, and the Philippines Hobie Cat Challenge, which is a 250 mile multi-day raid in anything from light to medium-heavy winds. No experience at all on a spinnaker cat. So compared to a lot of sailors on this forum, not a lot of beach cat experience for sure -- just enough to learn how to capsize in every way possible, and then how to recover (thanks H16!). Certainly not F18 racing or such.

On the other hand, we both had real trailing tri (F-31) experience in SF Bay and nearby coast, had done R2AK on an F-31 the prior year, had real offshore experience and nav/weather experience, and I had grown up sailing a 50ft racing cat. So we were no strangers to apparent wind sailing, navigation, and keeping a fast multihull right-side up -- all skills which translated nicely to the I20 for R2AK.

I'd certainly encourage more folks to consider entering a beach cat in R2AK! It's a bit nuts, yet very feasible with the right experience, preparation and mindset. (I suspect this is what attracts people to most long-distance beach cat races in the first place!)

Edited by southstars2012 on Aug 31, 2017 - 10:28 PM.

--
    SL
    Nacra Inter 20 (sold)
    2017 Race to Alaska "Team Ketch me if u can"
    - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TeamKetch/
    - Race video highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTWp4DP0VcA
    Sausalito CA
    --
  • cool - thanks for the info
    ps - my friend just purchased an f-31,
    I can't get over how amazing it rides
  • My dream rig is the f 31! Or Contour 34.
  • Quoteloose that ring ding

I've got the quick pin tied off to the tiller.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.