Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hiking straps  Bottom

• We need to get the hiking strap on the tramp on the resto Tornado. There are anchors on each cross beam, and several grommet holes in line. Any recommendation on where to buy strap webbing, and how to hook it up? Thanks.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • on my mystere - the eyestraps on the beams are for a shackle to attach the hiking straps.
    the straps have a grommet in them to accept the shackle.

the inline holes in the tramp are to secure the hiking strap to the tramp. - I don't use them often as they allways pull out anyway

you can buy webbing almost anywhere but make sure you get the right kind (UV resistant, and will hold the grommet for life)- they are cheap, i would just purchase them to be sure for Sunrise Yacht Products(https://www.multihullnets.com)
  • The new boat had a rope then shock cord behind the aft grommet. It woukd keep the strap under tension when not in use, and after several inches, a stopper knot would prevent further movement. It loads the tramp at the end. I haven't tried it yet but seems useful. Might be better if rope is anchored at bar. These are shock corded left to right.

Anyone use and like a tensioned hiking strap?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Put a half twist in the webbing. That way it doesn’t sit totally flat. Makes it easier to slide a foot under.
    That said, I only use them on the Dart 15, when I’m too lazy, or wind not quite enough to get on the wire.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • don't underestimate their value:
    they can save crew or skip from falling off
    they can save a capsize by allowing skip and crew to hike out more
    they can be useful after a capsize (something to step on or climb on)

and they can be the cause of all those things if they fail during use
  • Good plan on twist. I don't use them often either.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • to each their own:
    having a twist in them would drive me nuts while sailing
  • I can't imagine not having hiking straps. There are many times that just sitting out with feet under the straps brings the boat right down to where I want her.
    https://www.sailrite.com/ has all the stuff you need for hiking straps.
    REI has webbing.
    I bought some from a decent hardware store.(alas gone)
    The straps on my tramp (SLO) are sewn on in front, fed under short cross straps amidships, and tied to eye straps on the aft crossbar.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Edchris177Put a half twist in the webbing. That way it doesn’t sit totally flat. Makes it easier to slide a foot under.
    That said, I only use them on the Dart 15, when I’m too lazy, or wind not quite enough to get on the wire.

I always thought I was the only person who preferred twists. It makes it so easy to lock in. Aft foot under the strap, forward foot braced against the strap tensioning it and giving me something to push back on.
    Though I'm interested in CTCATAMAN's setup. Bungee tensioned with a stopper.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • MN3to each their own:
    having a twist in them would drive me nuts while sailing

Funny enough, what drives me nuts is if they don’t have opposing twist direction or the same number of turns. It has to look mirrored.

--
    Joshua

Texas Gulf Coast
    '82 Prindle 16 (Badfish)
    '02 Hobie Wave (Unnamed Project)
    ‘87 Hobie 18 (Sold)
    ‘89 Hobie 17 (ill-advised project boat, Sold)
    --
  • PM sent for pic of set up. Uploading pictures is over my paygrade.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • The straps on my n5.5 are too far out for my taste, i often think i should move them or add a second pair, (because they are tightly sewn). If conditions are such that i need to take by butt out as on a Laser, I’m already on the trap, I just need some support but not for gymnastics. Anyone feels the same?
  • Buy some inexpensive pool noodles to slip over the hiking straps. Makes it easy to get your foot under, and cushions the strap cutting into your foot above the shoe.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.