Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

6:1 Mainsheet System.  Bottom

• Okay so, I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the mainsheet system on my H16. It has the old Seaway 5:1 set up and I am wanting the low profile 6:1. Should I go with what Hobie offers as standard on a new H16, or is there something better? Keep in mind I am not racing, I just want something that is easier to use.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • You really can’t go wrong with Harken. A little pricey, but will last decades. I think the latest racing version uses a pretty small upper block for max rake, but really the standard 2.25” (57mm) triple that was stock since the late 80’s would be fine for what you’re doing.

sm
  • I upgraded my h18 to a harken tripple block on the boom - LOVED IT
    then upgraded my bottom to the 57 ratchomatic - LOVED IT - years later realized the ratchet wasn't engaging - harken replaced it without question

Later upgraded to a quad top when i upgraded to a mystere 5.5 LOVED IT
    years later my ratchomatic AND top block was dying of old age and use (bearing were shot)
    Harken replaced it FREE - but I asked and they agreed to upgrade me to the 75mm (at cost + 10%) LOVE IT

it (75mm) is probably overkill, added weight and not needed but since i don't race ... i don't care
  • It’s a great upgrade, you’ll never go back. I replaced a failed Harken recently and went back with Harken on the recommendation of this site. The price difference between the Nautos, Ronstan and Harken wasn’t really all that much.
  • Thanks for the advice, I will go with the Harken that is currently standard on the H16. Hope to have it in a few weeks. icon_smile

--
    Marty
    --
  • What most people don't take into consideration is the size of the line running through the blocks. A small line will run through a big block easily, but a large diameter line run through too small of a block creates an enormous amount of internal rope friction making the tight bend around the block. That is why you will see tapered mainsheets on almost anything 8:1 or above.
    Even though a 57mm block will accommodate a 3/8" line, the amount of internal rope friction sort of defeats the purpose of using a quality block.
  • There's a nice looking Harken 2632 in the parts classifieds on this site for a decent price that would be a good start.
    You might have to replace that stand up block with a pad eye.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • mikekrantzWhat most people don't take into consideration is the size of the line running through the blocks. A small line will run through a big block easily, but a large diameter line run through too small of a block creates an enormous amount of internal rope friction making the tight bend around the block. That is why you will see tapered mainsheets on almost anything 8:1 or above.
    Even though a 57mm block will accommodate a 3/8" line, the amount of internal rope friction sort of defeats the purpose of using a quality block.

Excellent reminder, Mike.

So it’s a choice between white-knuckle joint damage to your hands, or shoulder surgery,..

I think I’ll start handing the main to my crew, and let THEM deal with it. icon_cool

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • I prefer the white knuckle joint damage. I love the way a smaller diameter line runs through the blocks, good gloves are a must
  • Personally, I like big ass line. I run 1/2" in my main sheet.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Feel free to recommend good gloves. All mine are in shreds.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • 8mm is the max for mainsheet line. I've been told some of the teams are running 5mm line in the Harken GP blocks.

Atlas 330 Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Showa-Atlas-Re-Grip-Coated-Gloves/dp/B00KJ23FVU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=atlas+330+gloves&qid=1555366660&s=gateway&sr=8-2
  • Have a 6:1 low profile Harken system listed in classifieds. PM me if interested. Pete
  • PM sent.

--
    Marty
    --
  • Send me your cell # for picture. Pete
  • I sent my cell # in a PM to you earlier today, being Saturday. Still interested.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I just want to give a shout out to pbegle for hooking me up with a really nice Harken low profile 6:1 set up. I cannot wait to have some time off from work to go sailing and try out the new set up. Thanks Pete!!!

--
    Marty
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.