6:1 Mainsheet System.

Okay so, I'm seriously thinking about upgrading the mainsheet system on my H16. It has the old Seaway 5:1 set up and I am wanting the low profile 6:1. Should I go with what Hobie offers as standard on a new H16, or is there something better? Keep in mind I am not racing, I just want something that is easier to use.

--
Marty
1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
--
You really can’t go wrong with Harken. A little pricey, but will last decades. I think the latest racing version uses a pretty small upper block for max rake, but really the standard 2.25” (57mm) triple that was stock since the late 80’s would be fine for what you’re doing.

sm
I upgraded my h18 to a harken tripple block on the boom - LOVED IT
then upgraded my bottom to the 57 ratchomatic - LOVED IT - years later realized the ratchet wasn't engaging - harken replaced it without question

Later upgraded to a quad top when i upgraded to a mystere 5.5 LOVED IT
years later my ratchomatic AND top block was dying of old age and use (bearing were shot)
Harken replaced it FREE - but I asked and they agreed to upgrade me to the 75mm (at cost + 10%) LOVE IT

it (75mm) is probably overkill, added weight and not needed but since i don't race ... i don't care
It’s a great upgrade, you’ll never go back. I replaced a failed Harken recently and went back with Harken on the recommendation of this site. The price difference between the Nautos, Ronstan and Harken wasn’t really all that much.
Thanks for the advice, I will go with the Harken that is currently standard on the H16. Hope to have it in a few weeks. icon_smile

--
Marty
--
What most people don't take into consideration is the size of the line running through the blocks. A small line will run through a big block easily, but a large diameter line run through too small of a block creates an enormous amount of internal rope friction making the tight bend around the block. That is why you will see tapered mainsheets on almost anything 8:1 or above.
Even though a 57mm block will accommodate a 3/8" line, the amount of internal rope friction sort of defeats the purpose of using a quality block.
There's a nice looking Harken 2632 in the parts classifieds on this site for a decent price that would be a good start.
You might have to replace that stand up block with a pad eye.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
mikekrantzWhat most people don't take into consideration is the size of the line running through the blocks. A small line will run through a big block easily, but a large diameter line run through too small of a block creates an enormous amount of internal rope friction making the tight bend around the block. That is why you will see tapered mainsheets on almost anything 8:1 or above.
Even though a 57mm block will accommodate a 3/8" line, the amount of internal rope friction sort of defeats the purpose of using a quality block.

Excellent reminder, Mike.

So it’s a choice between white-knuckle joint damage to your hands, or shoulder surgery,..

I think I’ll start handing the main to my crew, and let THEM deal with it. icon_cool

--
Prindle 18
--
I prefer the white knuckle joint damage. I love the way a smaller diameter line runs through the blocks, good gloves are a must
Personally, I like big ass line. I run 1/2" in my main sheet.

--
'82 Super Cat 15
Hull #315
Virginia
Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
--
Feel free to recommend good gloves. All mine are in shreds.

--
Prindle 18
--
8mm is the max for mainsheet line. I've been told some of the teams are running 5mm line in the Harken GP blocks.

Atlas 330 Gloves: https://www.amazon.com/Showa-Atlas-Re-Grip-Coated-Gloves/dp/B00KJ23FVU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=atlas+330+gloves&qid=1555366660&s=gateway&sr=8-2
Have a 6:1 low profile Harken system listed in classifieds. PM me if interested. Pete
PM sent.

--
Marty
--
Send me your cell # for picture. Pete
I sent my cell # in a PM to you earlier today, being Saturday. Still interested.

--
Marty
--
I just want to give a shout out to pbegle for hooking me up with a really nice Harken low profile 6:1 set up. I cannot wait to have some time off from work to go sailing and try out the new set up. Thanks Pete!!!

--
Marty
--