Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mug Race?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Quote Me, Emmitte, and Hans have got the causeway crew covered

enjoy!
  • QuoteI agree! come on down to dunedin and i will take a road trip to the beach to meet you :)

Hey MN3, Dunedin is on my list of day trips for this summer so I will try to let you know ahead of time. I was forced to get a new phone a couple weeks ago and lost some contacts. Unfortunately most of my recent sailing contacts so if you still have my # please text me so I can store yours again. Thanks Pete.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteHa! I wish. I hope just to finish before the beer is gone LOL

Agreed!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • OK, the weather forecast is becoming a little bit more clear. If it holds the wind will be similar direction as last year but maybe a little bit stronger. That will make for a long day.

The Mug Race is still 5 days away and the Northeast FL forecasters have difficulty getting it right more than 24 hours out. So we will see.

Stand by to stand by.

Brad Walker
  • I stopped looking at the forecasts after my first Mug Race.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • forecasts rarely get the sea breeze right
  • Looks like that storm is gonna clock it to a beam/close reach. Forecast keeps getting stronger as the storm is moving a little farther back on Friday. I didn't mind getting to tack regularly last year even though it took 9 hours to finish. At least I got to turn my head. Looks like I'm going to be looking the same way pretty much all day. My neck is sore already...
  • icon_biggrin icon_biggrin icon_biggrin

Edited by bradinjax on May 02, 2017 - 09:50 PM.
  • Super Excited!! Registered Today!! Can't wait to see everyone there.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • The Mug Race is trying something new on ratings this year. First understand that all boats are rated using Portsmouth and are compared all together for over all awards. There will be class trophies based on the usually classes using current Portsmouth system. What is new this year is they are developing their own rating system by taking previous results to determine each boat's rating. They have used the last 5 years results and credited each boat 80 percent of the difference they were behind the winner of that year. If you raced in the last 5 races you will get a pretty good adjustment of your rating if you had poor results. Of course if you always won, that does not bode well for you. The idea is to make this more fun for the weekend warrior who does not feel the current rating system accurately reflects their situation.
    The Race Committee will be awarding separate trophies for classes in this new developmental rating system. This will be an additional system to be viewed side by side, so the folks who have the old system dialed in do not fret. Portsmouth was supposed to adjust the ratings based on actual data, once upon a time. Over the last..well since I can remember nothing has been reviewed. Now it is actually being done. We will see if this new system gains any support or enthusiasm. The idea is to try and return weekend sailing to some fun times to argue over. If nothing else, at least they are trying to reward folks who come back to race each year.

Cheers
  • Sounds fun. So this is pulled from all rudder club races or the last 5 years of mug results? And this is on an individual adjustment basis or all similar boats averaged?

I see a loophole though. Someone could massively sandbag for 5 years and then just destroy everyone the next year. Haha

Edited by tamumpower1 on May 03, 2017 - 08:34 PM.
  • Yes. This is the last 5 years of Mug Race results. Also it is correcting the skipper rather than just the boat design. So is a big difference. we will see if this is a good direction or not. I vote you sand bag for the next 5 years icon_lol
  • Sounds like it's not going to help out First Timers at all. Oh well. Just want to have a nice Sail anyway!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Looks like the strategy is to stop just before the finish line and wait for whoever to come up behind you before finishing so you take less penalty since 80% of whatever gap you create is given to them icon_biggrin . All ratings have a bit of bs involved in them. It's all for fun anyway so why not give it a shot.

Edited by tamumpower1 on May 04, 2017 - 07:56 PM.
  • The forecasters got this one right, it was a wild ride at the Mug Race this year. The race started in delightful 8 - 10 knot breezes sadly this breeze was short lived. By the time we turned the first corner which is about 4 miles from the start the breeze was filling in exactly as forecast the "Holy F!@K! That was a strong gust!" forecast. As we made our way north the breeze built and the gusts got more insane! At the midway point 'Shands Bridge' it was full on howling. It took us 3 attempts to get though the bridge, there were several things working against you, opposing current, opposing wind, and a dead spot with wicked header right in the middle. The key for us was to avoid the center span and just put the damn hammer down. If you came off the throttle or tried to be cautious you got punished. On the north side things got no better once we were past the bridge we were greeted with a chop that had a nice long fetch to build up properly. Our next and final leg was an off the wind run to the finish. By now I was in full chicken mode and got up against the lee shore to sail the final part of the race in some flat water. Unfortunately I had to come off my flat water haven to finish the race. Jib out and main traveler to the stopper and almost every bit of mainsheet I had played out, and I have lot of mainsheet. With every wave we crested I would think no gusts, no gusts, so with a bit a wave management we crossed the finish line and high tailed to the club! Fortunately the race was uneventful for us, no capsizes and no injuries. Many teams were not so fortunate the safety boats had their hands full.
  • Thanks for sharing, sounds like you had quite the time out there.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Dave you nailed the description spot on. I thought we might have a nice day as we started. I lost my hat on the first blast. The wind went up from there and never stopped. It was a white knuckle ride the whole way. There was a point were I was wishing for those old light air days. icon_wink
  • I'd do a race story write up right now but going and getting a jet massage in the hot tub is needed first
  • david.ingram Fortunately the race was uneventful for us, no capsizes and no injuries. Many teams were not so fortunate the safety boats had their hands full.

Note that David did the race and still managed to do the Sailwave scoring for the Florida 300 that day.

On my way back from Daytona Beach on Sunday after the Florida 300 I stopped briefly at the Rudder Club since I'd never been there and it was right on my route.

Pretty cool place, hopefully I can join the EIGHT Hobie 18's they had in the race, next year.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • OK, this was my 6th Mug Race. If I used one word to describe this years event from my perspective it would be "survival".

I was crew on a Blade F-16. We were late for the start and made a tactical error in the first leg by getting the spin out in the light 10-12 mph air. The first gust hit us like a hammer just as we turned for the only downwind leg and we pitchpoled. Lost the tack line on the spin and had to take it down for the rest of the day. After righting and getting sorted we stayed out in the middle of the river and experienced some headers so severe they caused involuntary tacks on several occasions. We capsized again and this time we got seperated. The committee boat had to assist us by picking me up and taking me back to the boat. I spent 20 mins in the water during this operation.

At this point the wind had picked up to 15-18 sustained with very strong blasts in the 22-25 range. As we rounded the point on the downwind leg we turned straight into the wind and discovered the river had enough distance to build solid 3-4 foot rollers. We proceeded to punch and jump our way for the next 2-3 hours tacking back and forth across the river. I was taking 5 gallon bucket shots to the face on every roller and my strength had deteriorated to the point I was no longer able to contribute as crew due to the start of hypothermia.

Then we lost a rudder. A brief discussion resulted in a decision to head to a sandbar and see if we could repair the rudder. 20 mins later rudder repaired and a serious discussion about continuing was held. Due to my severely weakened condition I elected to abandon the race. The captain continued and after 2 more capsizes, one of which launched him through the mainsail, he finished the race.

I was in the hot tub and well into my second or third beer when he finished.

Massive thanks to the assistance from the many support people that make this event happen and see ya next year!

Brad Walker

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.