Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mug Race?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Planning on doing the Mug Race this year. Has anyone done it in the past? Please share your thoughts and experiences.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Did it last year. Was my first distance race. I wouldn't miss it now. Dont go in the middle unless you can see boats ahead still moving. Never be the first to try an area unless it's obvious there's actually wind. Otherwise it's fun. The rudder club has the best food of any of the races around to so I always look forward to that at the end of the day.

Everyone registers like 1-2 days before so don't worry about the current registrant list. It's going to go up. A few guys out here are going but no one has registered yet

Edited by tamumpower1 on Apr 08, 2017 - 07:30 PM.
  • QuoteDont go in the middle unless you can see boats ahead still moving.

Hey tamumpower1, Thanks. Looking forward to it. When you say don't go in the middle are you referring to the middle of the river?

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • saltlife77
    QuoteDont go in the middle unless you can see boats ahead still moving.

Hey tamumpower1, Thanks. Looking forward to it. When you say don't go in the middle are you referring to the middle of the river?

Yea ask anyone they will all say that. The shoreline is the place to be. The wind speeds are all over the place on the river. There's like constant 20-30 degree oscillating wind shifts so if you can adjust fast you can gain on the people that react slower.
  • I did the Mug Race the first time in '84 or '85 in a Hobie 16. Then off and on through the years depending on the strengths and weaknesses of whatever boat I owned at the time and a favorable weather forecast for my PHRF.

It can be a sprint but it could be a marathon. 38 miles from Palatka, FL to the Buckman Bridge in Jacksonville, FL on the St. Johns River in 12 hours or less is the course. The current record is 2 hours and 15(?) mins or so by an RC-27.

If the prevailing wind from the southeast is working it is basically a drag race. Any wind with a northern component makes for a long day. Light winds from any direction are especially challenging as the mid to late afternoon land breeze/sea breeze kicks in. If there are light wind conditions you get 180 degree wind changes commonly as well as huge holes of no air and strong favorable conditions that are unreachable 100 yards away.

There are tides and currents to deal with as well as swirling winds off the tall cypress trees that line both sides of the river for most of the route. The good news is it is not particularly shoal-y with decent water depth for most boats from shore to shore.

Last year there were 83 entries from 14 countries with only 12 or 14 finishers. It is often referred to as the "Longest river sailboat race in the world".

Watch for crab traps.

Hope all that sounds like fun!

I will be there...

Brad
  • I'll be there on my Nacra 5.2. This will
    be my first attempt. See U at the end for a beer! prost

Edited by wanderoo222 on Apr 09, 2017 - 10:11 AM.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --
  • Great info Brad. Thanks. I knew I would find some guys on here with some insight. I am looking forward to it. I guess I should say lets pray for a steady southeastern breeze.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Great time for all. It is what I think of as a marathon. even if the race takes only 2 hours, it will feel like all day. Race is back to everyone starting at the same time. This year the start line will be split with Multihulls on one side and monohulls on the other. For some strange reason monohull "must" start on starboard tack. I guess so they can use their right of way to plow through as many folks as possible. So this year they can really have fun with themselves. Anyway, multihulls will get a chance to have a good start without any "Imperial entanglements". Good Luck and see you there.
  • Great time for all. It is what I think of as a marathon. even if the race takes only 2 hours, it will feel like all day. Race is back to everyone starting at the same time. This year the start line will be split with Multihulls on one side and monohulls on the other. For some strange reason monohull "must" start on starboard tack. I guess so they can use their right of way to plow through as many folks as possible. So this year they can really have fun with themselves. Anyway, multihulls will get a chance to have a good start without any "Imperial entanglements". Good Luck and see you there.

Edited by bruiser on Apr 10, 2017 - 01:03 PM.
  • This is a great catamaran race, well supported by the Rudder Club. Better bring your A game if you want to beat Mr Roberts on his AC30. If you would like to receive the Rudder Club newsletter with event info, send me your email address.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Hey klppurdy I absolutely would like to receive the news letter. My email is saltlife77 at live dot com. I have no intentions in beating Mr Roberts on his AC30 or anyone sailing a RC27 for that matter lol. Finishing will be an accomplishment in itself from the sounds of last year, however Eric and his father Bill are the main reasons I want to do the race. Aside from my uncle Chuck Cairnes who won the Mug Race in 77 and 78 my parents participated for several years in the early 80's. I grew up on Lake Mangonia in West Palm Beach and lived next door to the Roberts'. I am really looking forward to seeing Eric after almost 30 years. I grew up sailing a Supercat 17 with my Dad and was lucky enough to get to sail the RC27 when it was first built many moons ago.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Don't let Bill catch you calling his RC30 an AC30!

Edited by davefarmer on Apr 13, 2017 - 11:10 PM.
  • Wow Pete, that is quite a history, with catamarans. I sailed Lake Mangonia a lot around 87-89 on a orange crush Hobie 16 (that I still have). I met Mr Roberts a couple of times there but didn't really know him. I do recall that a young man in the area pitch poled his Hobie 16, got caught up in the rigging and drowned and that was the point Mr Roberts started designing I think the 17 footer with higher profile and more buoyant hulls.

Thanks for the correction Dave, I tend to think of all the AC/RC/Supercat/Boston Whalers as the same boat. Bruiser may be there on his RC 27 if he can get Randy to work out a sail, and we have one other member with an RC27 but he is currently deployed.

Wanderoo, a Nacra 5.2 won this race in 1976 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mug_Race

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Quote tend to think of all the AC/RC/Supercat/Boston Whalers as the same boat.

Not 100% sure here, but i think it's an ARC ...
    AC's are very different
  • I got the AC30 from klppurdy and assumed that was possible given the relationship with Aquarius. I got a feeling that if I run into Bill or Eric they won't be upset with me LOL. I think Andrew is right. It's an ARC30 for Aquarius Roberts Catamaran. The 27' was just RC27 because it was prior to Aquarius. Either way I am stoked and MN3 should take a road trip too. It would be nice to meet.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • QuoteWanderoo, a Nacra 5.2 won this race in 1976

That's funny because he tried to say this will be his 1st attempt LOL!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • Quote Either way I am stoked and MN3 should take a road trip too. It would be nice to meet.

I agree! come on down to dunedin and i will take a road trip to the beach to meet you :)

my good buddy Hans will be at the mug race again this year representing!!!

Morningstar Fishermen President, Founder & champion sailor, Hans Geissler, will race in the 64th consecutive Mug Race, Saturday, May 6, 2017. Hans is a previous winner of the event, which is a 38 nautical mile race down the St. Johns River from Palatka to Orange Park, Florida, attracting top skippers throughout the region. Sponsor Hans in this endeavor, as he raises awareness for Morningstar Fishermen's dedication to the Race2EndHunger. Donations of all amounts are appreciated.
    Donate Now By Clicking The Link Below:
    http://www.morningstarfishermen.org/financial-donation.html
    Image may contain: sky, outdoor and water
  • My mistake on the AC, I don't think those boats would meet this requirement

"To compete, masts must be under 44 feet in order to clear all bridges along the course"

Must have America's Cup on my mind.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Don't worry Andrew. Me, Emmitte, and Hans have got the causeway crew covered. I wonder if Ron is going. His boat would do good in the air they have. Not that I'm looking for another boat to be in front of me ha
  • saltlife77
    QuoteWanderoo, a Nacra 5.2 won this race in 1976

That's funny because he tried to say this will be his 1st attempt LOL!

Ha! I wish. I hope just to finish before the beer is gone LOL! This will actually be the first race with the 5.2 since I bought it about 2 months ago. See u guys there. Cheers.

--
    2016 Hobie Getaway
    1978 Nacra 5.2
    1978 Hobie 16 (back in the day)
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.