Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What cat is best for me?  Bottom

• I am a life long sailor, raised on catamarans and a live aboard trimaran when they weren't that common on the sailing scene. I have been sailing monohulls for the past 10 years, but really prefer multihull sailing and am now looking to purchase a beachcat. I'm pretty 'small' and 'over 50'. I really enjoy the spirit of the cat, but don't need the fastest boat on the beach anymore.

I'll be single handing within a club, in a large estuary most of the time, but would like the option to bring a passenger from time to time. Recently I've sailed a Wave and a 'GetAway'. They were both a blast, but perhaps a bit too easy. I admit, I did like the aspect of no boom, but its not a necessity. I want a boat that's not complicated but that I can feel good about sailing and racing from time to time.

My eyes are crossing over all the recommendations I am getting from well-meaning, cat sailing friends; too many choices. Appreciate any comments/suggestions.
  • Hmmm, well ya know what I would suggest. Wait for it.....
    Hobie 16!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • A snarky cat would be the way to go. Hobies are so...............done

icon_razz

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • I have to weigh in to keep the Supercat sailors thirst quenched here.
    I love the Supercat 15. Easily takes two when needed and easy to single hand.
    Doesn't pitch pole easily, no daggerboards and boom less
    Just sayin!

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • nacra 5.o or 5.7 neither have a boom or dagger boards and are great boats
    Newer versions are 500 or 570
  • I was recently in a similar position when getting a Beachcat after not sailing in over 20yrs. I knew I wanted more performance than a Wave or Getaway (Had rented those a couple times) but something I could maneuver, set up and sail single handed with ease. I also did not want a boom as I planned on getting my 3 Daughters involved in Cat sailing and felt boom less was a smart option for me. I chose a NACRA 450 and couldn't be happier. It is super light (like only 280lbs), super easy to set up, a blast single handed and buoyancy to go 2-3 up if you have light kids like mine. I have sailed it with 2 grown men many a time as well and I am 6'4" 215 lbs myself. As time goes on I will move up the ladder but I couldn't have picked a better Cat to get back into the sport.

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • However someone just posted a really nice NACRA 500 in the classified ads on this site. Great Cat!!

--
    Pete
    2001 NACRA 450 SOLD
    2000 NACRA 500 TOTAL LOSS
    2004 NACRA INTER 20 SOLD
    2016 NACRA 500 Sport
    DeLand, FL
    --
  • The old joke..."whichever one your wife lets you buy" comes to mind...

But seriously. Most people will answer with whatever boat they currently own because either by trial and error, dumb luck or a careful consideration of all the factors they require in a beach cat they ended up with the right boat for them.

To get a good answer for you the community needs to know more about your requirements:

1) What is your budget? There is a reason this is first on the list. Good quality boats can regularly be found for under 2k but some cost 30k+. The answer here will rapidly narrow down the list.
    2) How many people will be sailing with you? Primarily single handed or sometimes all 8 kids with you?
    3) Do you have a preference for boardless or boarded cats?
    4) You mentioned racing. Do you need an "advantageous" PHRF rating? Is there a one design class in your area?
    5) What part of the country do you live? Different boats are popular in different parts of the country and there is usually a reason for it.

The answers to these questions should allow the very knowledgeable to get you pointed in the right direction.

Fair winds,

BW
  • Sounds like a Dart 18 would fit the bill.Easy to single hand or sail with a crew.Light,no boom and great in stronger breezes.As always JMHO

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • I have owned/sailed the following cats: Dart 18, Hobie 16&18, Nacra 5.2 & 5.7, prindle 16, that all would fit - issues are as posed by others- also consider depth of estuary? Nacra 5.2 has hugh heavy daggers not desireable for shallow conditions! But perhaps easiest to right after capsize just step on dagger .Hobie 18 & nacra 5.7 sail area in high wind conditions often require crew/passenger and are roomier so 4 people can squeeze aboard ,all of the other above mentioned cats best with max crew of 1 or a total of 2 on board( that goes for Dart 18 my favorite(i have 3)because only 7 ft wide,even thou 18 ft long;Dart 18 best in high winds to single hand, all others 8 ft wide. Prindle 16 best surfing cat but your not interested in that aspect. Dart lightest of all but skegs create drag when pushing/pulling in the sand.
  • QuoteSounds like a Dart 18 would fit the bill.Easy to single hand or sail with a crew.Light,no boom and great in stronger breezes.As always JMHO

but a dog in light air

every boat has its perfect conditions and role

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.