Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

new to cats  Bottom

• picked up a 76 bicentennial hobie 16. at the end of last summer. boat was functional but now I've found all the stuff it needs!
    located in Lexington ky. sail in lakes in the area and will be taking the cat on vacations to outer banks. looking forward to teaching my kids to sail.
    some experience with mono hulls but its been years since ive had a boat in the water!
    im in need of some parts what is everyone's recommendation?

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • It would help to know what parts you need. That is an older boat, and I've never personally seen a bicentennial edition. I would carefully inspect all the rigging attachments and if you don't know the age of the standing rig, consider replacing the wire. The trampoline is another part that is easily replaced if the vinyl has dried out or shows any sign of weakness. As a one-design boat, parts are widely available for the H16, so as long as the hulls are sound, it can be made into a very nice boat.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Start with the classifieds right on this site.
    E Bay has tons of listings
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/S…s/31281/bn_557914/i.html
    Then of course:
    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/index.php?c=2
    If you get to the Outer Banks via The Wright Memorial Bridge there is a guy with a beach cat boneyard, right on the highway, on the mainland side, in Point Harbor. He seems to be collecting old cats from all over the area. His name is Bill Elwang 252 202 5687.
    The Outer Banks is a great place to sail.
    Stay here:
    http://cypressmooninn.com/wpp/
    My brother owns the place. He's a cat sailor.

Happy sailing, GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • murrays.com is good - lots of other online shops *(i've also used saltydogmarine and www.apsltd.com)

your local hobie dealer, chandelier(old name for sailing parts builder/manufacturer/retailer or sailing shop

This site's classified ads for used gear
    ebay, craigslist, or find a local used boat parts shop
  • tominpaIt would help to know what parts you need. That is an older boat, and I've never personally seen a bicentennial edition. I would carefully inspect all the rigging attachments and if you don't know the age of the standing rig, consider replacing the wire. The trampoline is another part that is easily replaced if the vinyl has dried out or shows any sign of weakness. As a one-design boat, parts are widely available for the H16, so as long as the hulls are sound, it can be made into a very nice boat.

The bicentennial edition just had the stars and stripes sails as seen in my avatar and a flag decal on the hulls.
    the tramp is original (as is most of the boat) and though it seems to be in fairly good shape the hiking straps are shot so its going to get replaced anyhow. The guy I got it from did replace forestay and added aussie jib halyard and changed out the main traveler. there seems to be a lot of slack in the shrouds so im planning on replacing them. to achieve more mast rake I assume I need the newer length shrouds.
    the trap gear had been removed at some point. I have some various pieces but it all needs replacing.
    jib sheet and clew blocks needs replaced and im already fed up with the stock jib blocks/cleats beat the tramp to death trying to uncleat! on that note the I have a broken cleat on the mast. cant remember what one at the moment. and the part I dread the most is getting some cat traxx!
    the Hulls are in great shape though!

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • Sounds like a fairly solid boat. Would love to see some pics!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Bajadrew, there is a beautiful set of Cat Trax in the Classified Parts for Sale in Ohio. I wish those had been there when I bought mine last summer.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Slack in the shrouds on a Hobie 16 is a function of jib halyard tension. Hobie 16's are unique in that once the jib is hoisted, the jib halyard takes all the forestay load and the actual forestay should be slack. Too many new Hobie 16 sailors unknowingly rig with way too little jib halyard tension.

A word of caution, it sounds like you are planning to dump a considerable amount of cash into a very old boat. Some of the "upgrades" you're considering, such as shorter shrouds, could be pitfalls because once you shorten shrouds, you will likely need low profile blocks, the old sails really weren't cut for a lot of rake, the mast base/step may need to be changed, etc, etc. Hobies are tough boats, but they do have a life span. Once the hulls start going soft (assuming they aren't already), the boat is basically done.

sm
  • MN3murrays.com is good - lots of other online shops *(i've also used saltydogmarine and www.apsltd.com)

+1

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • had a 79 H16, (check out avatar), the '70's hulls were made more solid than the '80's, just sail it and gradually replace what is necessary.

TOW = Time On Water

R
  • DogboySlack in the shrouds on a Hobie 16 is a function of jib halyard tension. Hobie 16's are unique in that once the jib is hoisted, the jib halyard takes all the forestay load and the actual forestay should be slack. Too many new Hobie 16 sailors unknowingly rig with way too little jib halyard tension.

A word of caution, it sounds like you are planning to dump a considerable amount of cash into a very old boat. Some of the "upgrades" you're considering, such as shorter shrouds, could be pitfalls because once you shorten shrouds, you will likely need low profile blocks, the old sails really weren't cut for a lot of rake, the mast base/step may need to be changed, etc, etc. Hobies are tough boats, but they do have a life span. Once the hulls start going soft (assuming they aren't already), the boat is basically done.

sm

you brought up some things i had not accounted for with the effects of further mast rake and such..
    just how slack should the fore-stay be? that my be too long as well cause with the jib up there's a few feet of slack in my fore-stay.
    hulls on this boat are solid as it was kept inside by original owner for the first 38-39 years during which it only saw water a handful of times (so l was told i have my doubts) none the less the hulls are solid.

tominpaBajadrew, there is a beautiful set of Cat Trax in the Classified Parts for Sale in Ohio. I wish those had been there when I bought mine last summer.

i saw those too! few hundred miles from me still

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • bajadrew you brought up some things i had not accounted for with the effects of further mast rake and such.. just how slack should the fore-stay be? that my be too long as well cause with the jib up there's a few feet of slack in my fore-stay.

There is no defined amount of "slack" for the forestay. It depends on how long the forestay is, the shroud length, the era that the boat was built in, if extra adjusters have been added to the bridle wires, etc. The point is that when the boat is rigged, there should be zero tension on the forestay wire. The forestay is only there to support the mast until the jib is raised. Once the jib is up, the luff wire in the jib and the jib halyard line support all of the forward mast load, nothing on the forestay. Tension the jib halyard until the shrouds are "snug."

sm
  • Quotehad a 79 H16, (check out avatar),

i don't see a boat in that avitar?
  • thank you everyone for your responses to my post here and the other.
    upon further research my boat is a Spirit of '76, posted a few pics in an album but I can't seem to rotate them.
    (when I try they wont show up)

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • It's time to replace those shrouds and ring dings.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127007&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by nacra55 on Mar 01, 2017 - 01:12 AM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • bajadrewthank you everyone for your responses to my post here and the other.
    upon further research my boat is a Spirit of '76, posted a few pics in an album but I can't seem to rotate them.
    (when I try they wont show up)

Fixed your pictures. One of them was a PNG which still should have been ok and not sure what was wrong with the others but I couldn't rotate them either so just downloaded them, resaved them in Photoshop and uploaded back to your album.

Lost your titles and descriptions but you should be able to edit them since you are admin for the album.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.