Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sore Arse  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• i disagree
    DamonLinkous
    samc99usAgree with everything above sjbrit, with one detail. DO NOT whack the crap out of your beachcat hull with a rubber mallet. Even older beachcats are not designed to take that kind of abuse. Best would be to pull a nice even vacuum over the surface.

Agree
    DO NOT whack the crap out of your beachcat hull with a rubber mallet.

Maybe this was just humor but better safe than sorry. A Jet Ski deck is a whole lot stronger than a beachcat deck.
  • DamonLinkous
    samc99usAgree with everything above sjbrit, with one detail. DO NOT whack the crap out of your beachcat hull with a rubber mallet. Even older beachcats are not designed to take that kind of abuse. Best would be to pull a nice even vacuum over the surface.

Agree
    DO NOT whack the crap out of your beachcat hull with a rubber mallet.

Maybe this was just humor but better safe than sorry. A Jet Ski deck is a whole lot stronger than a beachcat deck.

Yes, good point. Maybe don't whack the actual crap out of it, but you do need a whole lot more than a vacuum to get turf to bond for the long term. You can be gentle with a rubber mallet - just adjust to your particular hull. You don't need to go nuts, but do spend some time bouncing a rubber mallet off every square inch of the turf.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • I'll disagree again. Vacuum is ~ 14psi at sea level. Quite a lot of pressure, certainly enough to achieve the bond strength of the adhesive! Gentle tapping with a rubber mallet may work but that is a fair amount of effort! What I did was use the smooth edge of the handles on a pair of scissors to rub over the surface of the hydroturf and get a solid bond. I know the material is still stuck down 3 years later with no whacking involved.

Goodall has a solid set of instructions here: http://www.goodalldesign.com.au/Catamaran/index.php/owners-corner/tips/22-eva-deck-grip
  • I would suggest some type of cylindrical roller on a handle, or even a rolling pin instead of beating on the stuff.

Edited by martyr on Dec 23, 2016 - 09:59 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I appear to have a lot more pent up anger than you guys hammer Rolling works too. It's actually very little effort with a mallet - turf is pretty springy and the mallet just bounces along under its own weight with a little guidance and a little pressure. But a hard roller works too.

--
    H16 back in the day
    SC17 right now
    Bradenton, FL
    --
  • So after finding out about hydro turf on this site, I decided to try it on (over) another deck repair on a sunfish clone I worked on over the last month.
    Had some cracking on the deck and sanded it down, fiberglassed and epoxied it. Then sanded it smooth.
    Ordered the material from hydro turf in S Cal, but was only able to get a cut pattern (not the diamond pattern shown earlier), given the size and color I wanted.
    I had tried a similar fix awhile back on another boat, but used neoprene (earlier in this thread). Didn't work out so well.
    This material was a breeze to work with. Cuts clean, lays down well. Clamped some stops in place to make sure I hit my marks as I was doing this as a one man job.
    I bought the pre-glued backed material and it seems to have really bonded. Once stuck, there was no pulling it up.
    I used a rolling pin and a lot of pressure to make sure it bonded to the cockpit edges where there was a bit more contour.
    Don't know how well this will hold up over time to UV and saltwater, but will be able to update a season or two from now as this boat sits out on the beach, uncovered, from March to November.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Finished installing some on my wife's boat last night. Will post some more info on the boat soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/mP9L6g99RHjRy7uM7
    https://goo.gl/photos/oWbKPpHq6LxEghus6

Edited by bacho on Jan 04, 2017 - 07:50 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Wow, looks great. I have a new project!

Bacho, what size sheets are you working from? Are there seams in the length of the application?

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Where do you guys source the long adhesive backed astroturf material? All i can find are the 37' X 58" strips.
    Is smooth, diamond, ridges or square grooves preferred?

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteFinished installing some on my wife's boat last night. Will post some more info on the boat soon.

Nice ride!
  • fxloopWhere do you guys source the long adhesive backed astroturf material? All i can find are the 37' X 58" strips.
    Is smooth, diamond, ridges or square grooves preferred?

I went direct to Hydroturf in S Cal.
    http://hydroturf.com/pwc_matcolors.php
    They have several different sheet sizes and colors. Some sheet sizes not available in some patterns/colors, so be careful. They had to call me back and change pattern as the sheet size I wanted wasn't available in diamond pattern.
    Some colors more susceptible to UV damage.
    I bought the adhesive backed version

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • Some colors fade, they are marked on the website. I used green, it faded so much I removed it after one season. Gave a great grip though.
  • Some colors fade, they are marked on the website. I used green, it faded so much I removed it after one season. Gave a great grip though.
  • Which colors are less likely to fade?

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Agreed. It looks like ~ $300 for the materials alone, not to mention many hours of prep, install and removal if it fades in just one season. See a lot of boats with grey smooth at regattas. Perhaps the best and/of factory installed?

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • The sizes available depend on your color choice. The biggest sheets can do a boat by themselves, depending on how ambitious you are.

The boat I pictured has one seam. Obviously it's nice to avoid them. Purple was only available in a smaller sheet so there was no option.

I like the smooth as it has the cleanest look. I do not think the different patterns offer much for performance in our application.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • what is the added weight for say an f18?
  • For what it is worth:
    I bought a 47" x 86" sheet and total weight was about 8 lbs.
    I don't think this material will absorb a lot of water, but can't test it out right now, as in winter season.
    I bought royal blue cut version which might absorb more water than the diamond pattern.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • Quote total weight was about 8 lb

thanks for the info!

total weight? -
    shipping weight?
    materiel weight?
    or weight of pieces that were cut into shape first, then weighed?
  • Who cares? It's about a 6-pack. Great deal for the return.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.