Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

tacking in high winds  Bottom

• Something I am not doing right during a high wind ,upwind tack . I am carrying enough speed . I turn boat and release jib when directly into wind.The boat does not make the turn enough to catch wind on other side. We get stuck directly into wind and takes a few tries to get out on either side of wind. Am I releasing jib too soon ??
    Never a problem in low to moderate winds .. Boat is a Prindle 19 mx with a big jib ..

Any coaching would be greatly appreciated
  • A few things. Don't release the jib until you are right through on the opposite tack. The jib will push you through, when you get better at tacking technique you can release it sooner and tack quicker for the time being let the jib back wind.

Make sure to hold the rudders at 45 degrees and DON't let them move back for even a moment. That will kill your tack. A lot of people make the mistake of allowing the rudders to straighten when they are going across the tramp.

When you are head to wind release a few feet of main. If you don't then when the wind starts to catch on the new side main will will wind vane you back and send you into irons before it has a chance to fill. Silly little detail that is easy to forget.

Last don't move the weight across to the leeward side too early. You want the boat to pivot on the windward side rear corner, if you move too early you flatten the boat and it will pivot on both hulls stalling your turn. So stay on that side until you are at least a little bit on the new site. This is a balancing act beceause if you stay too long and the main fills you will flip.

HOpe that helps.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • A lot of these "don't does" are pretty much what I am doing now . I have been getting away with this in moderate winds , but getting killed in the heavy stuff. Thanks for the instructions , these will definitely help me out !
  • The most common mistake I see in high wind tacking is mainsail position. If you are traveled out and/or sheeted out in response to the high winds, your main has to be brought in as you turn upwind. Otherwise it will luff early and you will lose power early in the tack. Try and keep your main powered up as long as you can by travelling and sheeting in as far as you can just before going head to wind. Then completely release it as you are head to wind. Once the jib is luffing to the side of the new tack, sheet it first. Don't sheet the main until you have completed the tack to at least a close reach.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • mattsonThe most common mistake I see in high wind tacking is mainsail position.

+1

Beginners will instinctively release mainsheet prior to initiating a tack. Big no-no. You can get away with this in light wind or when sailing a monohull but not on a cat in strong wind. Before you start the tack, uncleat the main, but keep it sheeted tight. If you're travelled out far, you may even need to travel in just before the tack. Once you reach head-to-wind, release several feet of mainsheet while keeping the rudders held over. This will allow the boat to continue to pivot through the tack. If you still blow the tack, physically push the boom out and reverse the rudders to initiate a K turn. Note that you can practice these techniques in light wind to get the hang of it.

sm
  • It didn't even occur to me that someone would be traveled out sailing close hauled before a tack. I guess you would if you are trying to spill wind in heavy wind conditions. You definitely have to be travelled all the way in while tacking.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Wolfman , excellence tips !! A lot more fun now in the higher winds . Smoother tacks and in control .

txs!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.